free website stats program If you own a 2014 Infotainment GPS, you should read this. | Harley Davidson Forums

If you own a 2014 Infotainment GPS, you should read this.

Jeff53404

Harley plans on updating maps to coincide with the release of their new bikes (there might be a slight delay but that is their target). The map updates are $150 and there is no lifetime map update program.

I am posting this because I have found a serious flaw in the 2014 North American map (see attachment) and I believe the map should be updated at no charge (Class Action anyone?). I realize that no map is perfect and businesses, roads, etc., are always being added. Still, when you are in Michigan trying to head north to Canada and the GPS is directing you back to Chicago, Milwaukee, and Green Bay because the map doesn’t include the Mackinac Bridge, that is incompetence. Note: The bridge opened in 1957 and covers 5 miles of water. When I was 1 hour from my destination, the GPS said I would arrive in 13 hours.

It would be very helpful if forum members would confirm if any bridges, tunnels or other structures in their area are not included in the map. For example, does the map realize there is a Navajo bridge that spans a section of the Grand Canyon or does it route around the perimeter? Does it know there is a Golden Gate Bridge or a road to the Florida Keys, etc.? What about NYC tunnels and bridges? Canadian structures should also be looked at.

I would not expect the company to provide a free map because a shopping center was not included but the attachment shows a significant problem and there are likely to be additional substantial errors in the North American map. Customers should not have to fork over $150 to get what should have been provided in the first place. My cycle is 6 weeks old and I discovered the error after 3 weeks of ownership.

I am hoping Harley takes a proactive and positive approach to resolving this issue. That would be the responsible way to go. They need to be held accountable.

Please post any thoughts you have.

Attachments

• GPS Mapping and Routing Complaints NS.pdf
    529.7 KB · Views: 56
Harley plans on updating maps to coincide with the release of their new bikes (there might be a slight delay but that is their target). The map updates are $150 and there is no lifetime map update program.

I am posting this because I have found a serious flaw in the 2014 North American map (see attachment) and I believe the map should be updated at no charge (Class Action anyone?). I realize that no map is perfect and businesses, roads, etc., are always being added. Still, when you are in Michigan trying to head north to Canada and the GPS is directing you back to Chicago, Milwaukee, and Green Bay because the map doesn’t include the Mackinac Bridge, that is incompetence. Note: The bridge opened in 1957 and covers 5 miles of water. When I was 1 hour from my destination, the GPS said I would arrive in 13 hours.

It would be very helpful if forum members would confirm if any bridges, tunnels or other structures in their area are not included in the map. For example, does the map realize there is a Navajo bridge that spans a section of the Grand Canyon or does it route around the perimeter? Does it know there is a Golden Gate Bridge or a road to the Florida Keys, etc.? What about NYC tunnels and bridges? Canadian structures should also be looked at.

I would not expect the company to provide a free map because a shopping center was not included but the attachment shows a significant problem and there are likely to be additional substantial errors in the North American map. Customers should not have to fork over $150 to get what should have been provided in the first place. My cycle is 6 weeks old and I discovered the error after 3 weeks of ownership.

I am hoping Harley takes a proactive and positive approach to resolving this issue. That would be the responsible way to go. They need to be held accountable.

Please post any thoughts you have.
Very good information, thank you for sharing. I've had somewhat the same issue with my car gps, you would think it would be more reliable.

When nav system first came out in luxury cars there was different discs for different parts of country. Then when the newer ones came with the down load capabilities same problem. All with additional cost to consumer. As to Harley stepping up, the auto industry did not with my experience. So long story short I still rely on paper maps. You can not even trust MapQuest. Last weekend we took a little trip and used MapQuest only to find when we arrived at our destination there was a major highway that took us to the city that was 1/2 hour from home. The trip there following MapQuest took 2 3/4 hour the way home was 1 1/2 hours.

I took my Garmin 550 off the bike for the same reason, they are helpful but I always have a Rand Mcnally with. The 550 dose have life time updates

this is a mess

My head is spinning but the GPS routing works (sort of).

If I have tolls set as an avoidance, I get the corrupt route. I hate paying Chicago area tolls so I have tolls set as an avoidance. If I remove that avoidance, I am routed to all Chicago tolls, which I hate, but I am also properly routed to Sault Ste. Marie via Michigan.

Interestingly, towards the end of the ride, when I look at the route maneuvers sub-menu, it shows "toll booth" but it never says Mackinac Bridge (or Mackinaw Bridge).

What this comes down to is that avoidances may need to be changed throughout a route to get you what you want. It is unfortunate that HD Ride Planner and the Infotainment Center aren't more compatible. If tolls, ferries, etc. are an issue and the route is sufficiently long, there may need to be multiple recalculations but this requires you know what lies ahead.

I will contact HD with my findings.

Re: this is a mess

My head is spinning but the GPS routing works (sort of).

If I have tolls set as an avoidance, I get the corrupt route. I hate paying Chicago area tolls so I have tolls set as an avoidance. If I remove that avoidance, I am routed to all Chicago tolls, which I hate, but I am also properly routed to Sault Ste. Marie via Michigan.

Interestingly, towards the end of the ride, when I look at the route maneuvers sub-menu, it shows "toll booth" but it never says Mackinac Bridge (or Mackinaw Bridge).

What this comes down to is that avoidances may need to be changed throughout a route to get you what you want. It is unfortunate that HD Ride Planner and the Infotainment Center aren't more compatible. If tolls, ferries, etc. are an issue and the route is sufficiently long, there may need to be multiple recalculations but this requires you know what lies ahead.

I will contact HD with my findings.
Good luck and keep us posted.:s

I've had a few issues with the on board GPS on my 14 Limited. In Calgary instead of having me turn left on a freeway exit it had me go to the next stoplight and do a U turn and then back to the freeway entrance. In Reno Nevada it ran me all over town because it prioritized a Harley Boutique over the actual Harley shop. I've learned not to trust them and have a Road Atlas on hand, but still when your on the move it would be nice to have some confidence in where it is telling you to go. I've blurted out a few choice curse words in the heat of the moment when it let me down. It seems to get you close then lets you down on the final off ramp or turn when your in traffic and really need it to come through.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ive been having problems since sept of last year it doesnt even recognize some towns ( Wedron is one example) cant get the texting to work either, and dont know anyone than can. spent many of phone calls with harley and dealership but no corrective action. good thing i bought a garmin and put on it when i rode to Nova Scotia this year, the screen went balack for 100 miles( no radio no nothing but harley keeps acting like there are no problems, so sad. a lot of money for the rushmore project. could of kept my o8 ultra but thought i was getting something good.

Irony..while testing the GPS out last Fall just to see how it works.... Heading west through York Pa on rt 30 to The Harley Vehicle Operations plant. Where the softails, CVO, and Touring bikes are built. You turn left off of rt 30 at the red light in front of the GIANT Harley sign onto Eden road and you are there..Tada!!! The GPS however tells you to continue east on rt 30 another 1/4 mile and make a U turn and come back west on 30 then turn right on to Eden rd.

They didn't even get the map right for directions the Harley plant..:shock :rofl

Irony..while testing the GPS out last Fall just to see how it works.... Heading west through York Pa on rt 30 to The Harley Vehicle Operations plant. Where the softails, CVO, and Touring bikes are built. You turn left off of rt 30 at the red light in front of the GIANT Harley sign onto Eden road and you are there..Tada!!! The GPS however tells you to continue east on rt 30 another 1/4 mile and make a U turn and come back west on 30 then turn right on to Eden rd.

They didn't even get the map right for directions the Harley plant..:shock :rofl

That's sad but I've found that to be true in a car gps as well. I was going to my local Harbor freight in my truck and theres a turn lane to turn into their parking lot but my gps told me make a u turn at the next intersection. :shock

Back