free website stats program If you break it, you are going to pay ... At which price! | Harley Davidson Forums

If you break it, you are going to pay ... At which price!

BlackG30

3 years ago the rubber boot of the stoplight switch became torn after a careless chrome covers installation over the hand controls of my 07 FLSTC. I fixed it with some drops of Loctite. But now The stoplight again shows malfunction. So now I ordered the piece, PN 71590-96A, about 20$. My dealer told me hen has recently changed it in his Dyna, BUT that it has been discontinued. And now I must order a new one, PN 71621-08 ... About 60$ !!!! What has changed to justify a triple price?

Even worse, the lense that covers the tail light is also broken. Just a piece of plastic. 50$ !!!! Original accessories are not cheap. But even small OEM parts are becoming so expensive that considering aftermarket alternatives are better
WAP.gif

3 years ago the rubber boot of the stoplight switch became torn after a careless chrome covers installation over the hand controls of my 07 FLSTC. I fixed it with some drops of Loctite. But now The stoplight again shows malfunction. So now I ordered the piece, PN 71590-96A, about 20$. My dealer told me hen has recently changed it in his Dyna, BUT that it has been discontinued. And now I must order a new one, PN 71621-08 ... About 60$ !!!! What has changed to justify a triple price?

Even worse, the lense that covers the tail light is also broken. Just a piece of plastic. 50$ !!!! Original accessories are not cheap. But even small OEM parts are becoming so expensive that considering aftermarket alternatives are better
WAP.gif
Look around J & P Cycles web site. You are likely to find acceptable replacements for both. I just replaced my broken tail light and mount. Indistinguishable from OEM.

Enjoy,
Rich P

I completely agree with you. I also had to replace tail light on my Electra Glide. $50.00. How about the brake pads $50.00 per caliper and I have 3 calipers. 9,000 miles out of rear 16,000 miles out of the front. Replaced rear tire at 9,000 miles and after purchasing proper tool for rear axle, the total cost of repair was $215.00 and I removed wheel from bike myself and installed pads. The problem with some aftermarket is fit and then shipping on top of price of part the cost difference can be minimal going with O.E.
I remember when motorcycles were cheap to keep.

Part number 71621-08 is now called a "Kit". Maybe that has something to do with it. Possibly before it was just the switch and now it an improved kit or something along those lines.

Usually if there is a part number change, the part is not the same as before and a major change has taken place. (Get it on line for $47.00.)

Part number 71621-08 is now called a "Kit". Maybe that has something to do with it. Possibly before it was just the switch and now it an improved kit or something along those lines.

Usually if there is a part number change, the part is not the same as before and a major change has taken place. (Get it on line for $47.00.)

You are right, the name is not the same. Kit vs part. And I hope it has been improved to avoid accidents when changing anything in the right hand control. But it is hard to pay for an imperfect part, I mean, If they had mounted this improved switch initially, I shouldn't had to change it. Maybe ...
WAP.gif

Ouch! Too late for me. I've already ordered (and paid) the original piece. But this time I've learned: first make an eBay search. Only after negative results I'll pay for the OEM part in the usual way
WAP.gif

Just a reply for Hoople: nop, the kit is JUST the same piece as the older one. A bare switch, a rubber boot covering the exposed button, two long wires … that's all. Oh, I almost forget: and a zip tie. 60$. That's what I call easy business. Even more if the fault is a bad design of the switch light by the MoCo. Not very happy, you'll understand.
WAP.gif

Back