IDS or SE COMPENSATOR?

Discussion in 'Touring Models' started by larry bart, Dec 5, 2009.

1. larry bart

larry bart Member

I have 2007 Road King tired of listening to the rattle.I'm having a hard time deciding which one to do or do both.

2. ultrat

ultrat Senior Member Contributor

I am installing se compensator first. got it yesterday on my 09 flh

3. Dr. Dolittle

Dr. Dolittle Experienced Member Staff Member Moderator Contributor

Hey, it's only money right? Order what you need to do both from Zanotti's and you'll have 2 winter projects that will tremendously improve the quality of your ride!

4. gs34

gs34 Junior Member

I think if you do the SE Compensator, you will probably decide you don't need the IDS.
    If you go the other route, you will still have the bang on start-up and the rattle.

5. ultrat

My thinking also............:)

6. PigSnot

PigSnot Active Member Contributor

I wrestled with the same choice and upgraded to the SE comp sprocket, just last week. My theory (and it’s a layman’s theory) was to fix the problem at the source, so that drive train shock does not propagate through the system.
    The starter knock is gone. The drive train is smoother, I’m sure due to the heftier springs as they absorb some of that initial ‘spike’ energy.
    The rattling noise is much less, but still comes through, more so 2 up. Need to ensure there isn’t something else contributing here. No plans for an IDS at this time.

The ‘how-to’ by gs34 was excellent. I also crafted the locking tool as per gs34 description. Worked perfect. :)

7. Alamo

Alamo Member

I reckon I am pretty ignorant. I have no idea what this IDS thing is that ya'll are talking about.
    I did install the SE comp kit on my 2007 Ultra. Made a world of difference. NO more starter bang. No more marbles in the primary. Smoother shifting. Best mod I have done.:TEXAS

8. glider

glider Veteran Member

9. Alamo

Alamo Member

Thanks. I see now said the blind man. I do not have that problem as of yet. The SE comp fixed the problems I was experiencing.:TEXAS

10. ultrat

Installed s/e compensator after work today wise move,no bang no rattle