free website stats program IDS failure turned into a nightmare... | Harley Davidson Forums

IDS failure turned into a nightmare...

Oscar

Let's get the forum's opinion here...

2008 Road King, 16k miles.

Long story short, riding along the Florida Turnpike, I suddenly lose acceleration. Motor running fine, clutch engaging, nothing. I have it towed to a dealership which after 4 days tells me the IDS is bad. Every bolt holding it to the hub sheared. Completely destroyed itself. I waited a week for Harley to ship a new one from the factory, replaced under warranty.

When I go to pick up the bike, the rear tire and brakes had been replaced, a service I had specifically told the dealership NOT to perform.

At this point, expecting to pick up my bike, 100 miles from home, for a no-charge warranty service, I'm now looking at a $400 bill for services I had instructed the dealership NOT to perform, as well as the tow, which I believe should have been covered under warranty as it was a warrantied part that failed, requiring tow.

I bought my bike new and every little bit of extra coverage that goes with it. They refused to pay for the tow, I had to max out a credit card to get my bike out of the shop.

I now learned that with my free HOG membership that comes with the purchase of a new bike, I'm entitled to a $100 tow per year. I'm going after Harley for this now...

What really bothers me is the fact that the tire was genuinely worn, but only had 4,000 miles on it. I am of the opinion that it was the rear tire not engaging properly with the IDS that caused this premature wear, therefore I should be entitled to warranty coverage on that tire.

The fact that the IDS fell apart like it did is ridiculous. The wrong grade of steel was used for the bolts. The service manager told me he had seen this before. Yet there is no recall issued. Harley knows this is an issue, '09 model touring bikes have the IDS as an integral piece of the rear wheel.

Basically, I was (EDIT). Any thoughts?

Please read and understand the info in this link...

A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community

Last edited by a moderator:
The 08 bikes were the first year of the IDS from the factory so that's a warranty deal there.
The towing should be reimbursable from HOG if you contact them up tp $100. You have to fill out a form and send it to them with the documentation for the towing.
As far as the tire, if you told them not to do it or they didn't ask you if you wanted it done , the tire and anything associated with the tire is on them.

Call your credit card company and dispute the charges but first call the dealer and discuss it with them.

Man, if you didn't sign anything or give them a verbal "AUTHORIZATION" for the tire and break repair or replacement, you shouldn't have been charged. PERIOD. Call your Dealer back and talk to the Manager. If THEY decided to replace it because of wear caused by the bad IDS then it's on them. Like Glider sez.......if they balk, call the Credit Card and file a "disputed charge" on them , Then call The MOCO's Customer Service Department and talk to them. I betcha you'll get some satisfaction at some point.

sorry can anybody please tell me what IDS means.
Isolated Drive Sprocket, It's the new Harley rear drive sprocket that suppose to make the engagement of the belt system smoother. It's basically a drive sprocket mounted to the hub on some heavey rubber arms, kinda works like a clutch.

If u have the original paper work in hand The Stealers cannot go 10 percent over original estimate without your authorization it is against the law and if u told them u would not pay for a service you beyer have it in wr, I run a back shop at Sears Auto Center in Jacksonvile, Fl. and you bet our customers wouldnt stand for this and u shouldnt either. Good Luck

====================================================
Glider; It's been 2 years since you installed the IDS, any problems, glitches, etc.?

Nothing at all but good things to say about it.
It's said when you replace the rear tire to check the rubber snubbers in the IDS to see their condition.

Nothing at all but good things to say about it.
It's said when you replace the rear tire to check the rubber snubbers in the IDS to see their condition.

Thanks for the info Glider. One more thing to consider upgrading to!

Back