free website stats program IDS Drive System Installation | Harley Davidson Forums

IDS Drive System Installation

franka

Just ordered the IDS system for my 07 Road King Classic per Glider's recommendation. Downloaded the instruction manual and all looks pretty basic except for one question regarding depth of final drive sprocket holes in rear wheel. Instructions say gauge bolt must bottom out against wheel, if not, tap inner pocket of wheel with 7/16-14 inch tap. Has anyone installed this unit on an 07 Road King Classic and does the gauge bolt bottom out or does it need to be tapped? Running stock wheel

I haven't run into the problem that you are asking with a few installations. They were on spoked wheels and not mag wheel's thou.

It's a straight forward installation and you will see a world of difference in the overall performance and smoothness of the bike. It's amazing the difference you will notice before the installation and after it's done. It's like a different bike completely with no more gear chatter.

Thanks Glider, I'm also running spokes. Look forward to installation and especially, "NO CHATTER"!

Just ordered the IDS system for my 07 Road King Classic per Glider's recommendation. Downloaded the instruction manual and all looks pretty basic except for one question regarding depth of final drive sprocket holes in rear wheel. Instructions say gauge bolt must bottom out against wheel, if not, tap inner pocket of wheel with 7/16-14 inch tap. Has anyone installed this unit on an 07 Road King Classic and does the gauge bolt bottom out or does it need to be tapped? Running stock wheel

It probably says the gauge bolt should not bottom out so you have enough room to torque the new bolts. I put the IDS on my bike 3 years ago and I can't say I'm that impressed. A little quieter maybe, but not much. When the bearing fails I'll probably put the stock sprocket back on. Spectro in my transmission too. I still hear the 5th gear whine. I think it's one of those "they all do it things".

It probably says the gauge bolt should not bottom out so you have enough room to torque the new bolts. I put the IDS on my bike 3 years ago and I can't say I'm that impressed. A little quieter maybe, but not much. When the bearing fails I'll probably put the stock sprocket back on. Spectro in my transmission too. I still hear the 5th gear whine. I think it's one of those "they all do it things".

That's very odd that you didn't notice a difference but then again there were some bikes produced that for some reason didn't have the noise problem in the drive line like the others did. Maybe your bike was one of the quiet ones. Every one that I installed was a major improvement over the way it came from the factory.

Franka; Please post back with your impression on the IDS after you get some miles on the install. I'm seriously considering an IDS for my bike. I'm one of the fortunate '07 owners that has no 5th gear noise, but I would like to feel the power impulses a little less.

Product arrives next week from Zanotti HD another one of Glider's recommendations. Glad I bought from them as I saved over $100.00 from local dealer pricing! Will repost after install and a few miles, but I'm pretty sure it's goung to be very positive.

Franka; Please post back with your impression on the IDS after you get some miles on the install. I'm seriously considering an IDS for my bike. I'm one of the fortunate '07 owners that has no 5th gear noise, but I would like to feel the power impulses a little less.

Breeze

It's the gear chatter that is most obvious without the IDS at lower RPM's is not there any longer with the IDS. At lower speeds the chatter of the gears is more obvious and this unit gives you much smoother acceleration without the power pulses that cause the gear chatter.

Breeze,
I also have an 07 Ultra and did this install about 14 months ago. I did notice a difference in the smootheness of the bike and no more chatter. I have put around 8,000 miles on the bike since I did the mod an can say that I am very happy with it.

Mike

Back