free website stats program idling | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

idling

The idle speed on the newer bikes is to be at no less than 950 rpm. This is to allow for the proper flow of oil to the top end of the engine. If you lower it, you will accelerate wear, and increase the chance of premature failure in this area.

I've yet to see any hard facts as to what you say. Do you have a reference or any stats on breakdowns or damage from running a low idle? Where did you get this info from? Thanks

Start the bike wait about 1-2 min's for oil to circulate and your idle should be ok,work's on my 06 street bob,if i start and drive off straight away my motor race's on idle for what seem's like forever,i have nothing to back this up,other then it work's for me.
Phyton short staggered pipe's,dyno power commander,a&n filter and as i live in thailand i use gashol and she love's it,tried 91% octaine not happy at all.Strange but true:)

Hard facts.....sorry, I can only go by what I have read here, elsewhere, and what I have been told by mechanics (both dealer & indy).
If you do a search, you can find enough reading about the reason for this to keep you busy the rest of the day and into the night.
I can tell you is this, as a "hard fact" that you can see..... In section 3-1 of the service manual, the spec listed reads 1000 RPM+/- 50.
That is reason enough for me.
I know....It's about the sound!! :ap
Well, you do what you want, but a Twinky will never sound like a pan, or a pan like a shovel, or any one of them like an evo. Different design, different ignition systems, etc. etc.
Bottom line....
If you want a duck, then buy a duck.
Don't buy an elephant and expect it to QUACK. :D

Back