free website stats program Idle/mixture screw seated | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Idle/mixture screw seated

thats a big change in economy on changing a jet that only works up to about 1/8th throttle. need to move that right hand a bit more!!!

Right hand aint changed. It certainly works beyond 1/8th throttle. The economy is all about the jet change.

Bodeen

CVThrottlepositions2.jpg

Glider,

Some questions on the diagram; &thanks for posting it.

What does straight diam. mean, what part of the carb does that refer to?

What is the throttle valve cutaway?

Thanks
Doug

Straight diameter...the needle has a straight diameter on the upper part, at the lower part it tapers down. At lower throttle openings the straight diameter portion of the needle is in the jet.

Higher throttle openings will lift the needle until the tapered part is in the jet,
and eventually the needle taper will be high enough in the jet that it will not be controlling mixture at all, at this point the mixture is controlled by the main jet.

Throttle valve cutaway is the taper or cutaway on the lower portion of the slide.

Gotcha and thanks...

Sorry to hijack the thread and I'll start a new one if need be..

My needle is not tappered, straight all the way down and the end is slightly rounded. I take it this is some sort of performance thing (thunder slide kit).
I'm running a little rich on the lower circuit with a 45 and the mixture almost all the way closed. The needle is a little higher than the middle knotch-(don't remember exactly). Is it possible that being too high will let too much fuel in even at slower speeds?

Doug

All needles have to be tapered, you may not see the taper with your eye but it is tapered otherwise it would make no difference in fuel delivery as it lifted up.

Best setup is stock parts and just upping the jets a bit to a 46 low and 175/180 main jet depending on your setup.

It could be the needle or even the low jet that is too large for your setup that is making it rich. Without knowing more specifics it's hard to tell.

Really like that diagram, it explains why doing some simple routine maintenance, changing air filter, cleaning carb slide and throat with Gumout made such a difference, even though I only did this about 1 year ago...apparently the whole chart moves to the left as deposites & varnish build up, so the bike always seemed to carburete better when "opening up the throttle" and getting out of the mid range interactions.

Back