free website stats program Idle/mixture screw seated | Harley Davidson Forums

Idle/mixture screw seated

Bodeen

Staff member
Contributor
Hello all,

Playing with my carb today to get to the bottom of my fuel mileage issue (lack of). I can seat the idle mixture screw and the bike will still run. I did have to adjust the idle very slightly but it will still run. Crack the throttle no popping nothing. I bought the 03 RK like it is with a A/N Big sucker and Rinehart True Duals. I received as a package deal all the extra/spare parts. Including the V&H carb jet kit. It has the 48 jet missing from the kit and I will assume thats what is in it. I do have the 45 stock jet that came out.
My question is do you all think that the 45 will work in it with the only mods stated above or should I just go straight to the dealer and try to get something in between the 45 and 48? I understand the 46's are like hens teeth, they are hard to find. I can order one if need be but wanted to check here first.

TIA,

Bodeen

45 will work but the jump to the 46 is usually what's needed.

The #46 jet is hard to find , here's a link if you need it..... #46 pilot jet

Generally if you can't kill the engine by turning in the idle mixture screw, either the screw is damaged from someone closing it too hard or the low jet is too big which I think is your case.
Try it with the 45 and if you get any popping, go up to the 46 then and lift the needle in the slide with 2 - #4 washers under the seat.

It's also not a good thing to mix parts from kits with stock parts.

*Twin Cam CV Carb Rejet Suggestions - Harley Davidson Community

Thanks Glider.

I have the stock main jet needle, and the stock slider spring that came out of it too. At this point, I should probably put those back in with the washers as suggested. Other than that I am not really clear on what the V&H kit contained so I don't know whats stock and what's not. I am also unsure if the vacuum port has been drilled, not much I can do about it if it was. I guess I am looking straight at a trial and error project.

Thanks for the input.

Bodeen

I believe it's an 1/8" drill used to enlarge the vacuum port. Try the back end of a 1/8" drill to see if it fits in the hole. If it does it's been drilled.

Look in the Self Help section for aftermarket maker of the jetting kit, or search engine using key words to find the threads from the tabs near the top of this page on how it is done. Mine came with all the stuff including the 1/8" drill (don't use it) and the local hardware store has stainless or brass #4 washers to shim the needle, with option to buy new EZ idle mixture screw with "knurled knob" to manually do the deed easier with little or no drama.

Last edited:
Figured I would report back as to my findings. Maybe it'll help somebody else one day.
I took Gliders advice (why wouldn't you?) I ordered up a .046 jet, once it arrived I took the old jet out, it was in fact a .048. Installed the .046 only, no other changes. Adjusted idle/mixture as stated in self help.
Took a ride with a buddy to Daytona and back (200 miles) on Saturday and got 40mpg. That is an increase from 28-33mpg. I'm happy with that!
My gripes about this bike when I bought it were in this order, front brake spongy, fuel mileage, poor handlebars. Brakes fixed! Fuel mileage Fixed, Found a set of Heritage bars hanging in a neighbors garage for free, thats next!

Thanks to Glider and everybody else

Bodeen

Glad you got it hooked up. Too many people just throw in any jet without knowing what will be the best size and think they solved the problem. Installing the right jet will make a night and day difference in the bike.

Good deal Bodeen, getting all the main performance items sorted. Regarding your comfort mod...there are several threads on installing the Heritage bars, and most who have are very pleased with the results, and most did not have to change or lengthen any of the wiring or cables.

thats a big change in economy on changing a jet that only works up to about 1/8th throttle. need to move that right hand a bit more!!!

Back