free website stats program Idle and cruise control problems | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Idle and cruise control problems

Took bike in last night and the service writer showed me in the owners manual, that the upper limit for the cruse is 85 mph. That is why the cruise disengages.
O2 Codes are what they are working on now. I'll post results when I have some.

the cruise control dis-engages when rpms exceed 3100.

Took bike in last night and the service writer showed me in the owners manual, that the upper limit for the cruse is 85 mph. That is why the cruise disengages.

Totally understandable. But that's not what you said in post #1 even though that's what you meant.:D There are lots of 3100's on the way up to 85mph.
Anyway,, Interested to see why the the bike is running so rich,, or at least why the ECM thinks so.

a seriously dirty air filter would cause a rich mixture...Hoople I see what your saying about "lots of 3100's" but doesn't the Cruise control disengage with the use of the clutch lever as well as either brake? and 3100 at a .81 6th gear ratio would be real close to 85 mph

Hoople I see what your saying about "lots of 3100's" but doesn't the Cruise control disengage with the use of the clutch lever as well as either brake? and 3100 at a .81 6th gear ratio would be real close to 85 mph

Yes, your correct. But if you go back to only what Post #1 says, it sounds as if the OP could Not set the cruise control to a RPM of 3100 or greater. And the fact is, he could have if he wanted to. He could have set the cruise at 3300 RPM in 1st, 2nd, 3rd 4th and probably even 5th. The only exception would have been 6th gear when the RPM of 3100 matched 85 MPH. That's what I meant by lots of 3100's or greater than 3100 RPM's with clutch engaged.

For me, the hardest part of trying to help someone is getting a full description and understanding of what is actually taking place and in what steps.
The way a problem is worded, can easily throw you for a loop and down the wrong diagnostic road. It's no biggie,, it's just the way it is. :)

I hear what your saying...been there...heck I am there with this voltage drop thing
IMO...being older than dirt firmly believe radio's, cruise control and ABS all contribute to complacency while riding when full attention should be on maintaining the rubber side down... and take away the true pleasure of being sans cage...my experience ABS is explitive deleted and much more trouble than it is worth...

I hear what your saying...been there...heck I am there with this voltage drop thing

You know it would not be unusual to see a "just removed from charger" battery voltage of 13.40 volts. And then see it fall to 12.81 in 2 hours. There is nothing wrong with that. It would actually be expected. Remember what NewHD74 said, the nominal voltage of these AGM batteries is 2.1 volts per cell or 12.60 volts. So a fully charged battery is considered to be 12.70 volts.

To charge a battery or force voltage into a battery requires that the source side (charger) voltage be higher than the battery voltage. So that 13.40 your seeing is nothing more than a surface charge due to the required charging voltage. The chemistry of this type of battery will not allow that voltage to stay high for very long.

If you really do have a parasitic drain issue on the bike, it won't be hard to fix. All you have to do is ask.

Got a call from service yesterday. They said the contacted HD Tech(mother company) and they believe the have the fix. California emissions on bike, and the Charcoal canister. If full of fuel it would bleed back into intake and richen the mixture. This would trip the O2 sensors to show rich.

Will pick up tomorrow, and find out.

Back