free website stats program Idle and cruise control problems | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Idle and cruise control problems

I would clear the ECM of all codes and see what codes log first and how quickly they log. Watch the check engine light when you first start the bike. That tells you if you have any historical codes logged even though the check engine light may not be on while riding. Something is pushing the engine to the rich side. Is the air filter clean. I would also check the fuel pump pressure. If the fuel pump pressure regulator was stuck, the pressure could easily be in the high 60's or 70's which would cause both cylinders to run rich all the time.

I have a 2010 Streetglide that was just fitted with new hand grips. Now, I'm having the idling problem stated here. Is this a simple fix or what ?

I pulled the last codes, but the two different dealers pulled the same ones, once before the replacement, and once after the replacement.
I have an extended warranty, but I would prefer to ride then have it in the shop for a week at a time.

your harley has a closed loop efi, before the engine over heats the ecm lowers the rpm to 900 and increases the fuel mixture to help cool the engine(parade mode). so if you crack the throttle it resumes normal mode which is lean , so it will heat up again.this is normal with this system. the low idle will not hurt anything,the ecm is trying to cool the motor.

Talked to Service at Harley, and was told the cruise control is designed to disengage when it gets to 85 mph.
Also, both O2 codes were back, and then cleared by service. Road bike home from dealer (10 Miles) and both codes were back.

Now this weekend, the cruise control dis-engages when rpms exceed 3100.

Talked to Service at Harley, and was told the cruise control is designed to disengage when it gets to 85 mph.

I don't have cruise control but 3100 RPM & 85MPH doesn't sound like the same thing to me. I would think you could set the cruise while in 3rd gear taching 3500 RPM if you wanted to without the system kicking off by itself. I can understand cruise control kicking off at 85 for safety reasons, but I can't see a reason for a 3100 RPM limit. Maybe someone will chime in and backup this statement or not.

Almost sounds like they are trying to talk themselves out of having to fix it.

3100 rpm is around 85mph in 6th gear. The cruise has a upper limit as well as a lower limit, if you only use the cruise when in 6th gear you should try running in 5th gear to see if the cruise will work over the 3100rpm range. If the cruise is working properly then you should be able to go 85mph in 5th gear and show a higher rpm then 3100. What do the spark plugs look like? A dark plug would indicate a rich AFR you may have a problem with the Idle Air Control (IAC) a problem with the IAC can cause a richer AFR thus resulting in a high 02 sensor read out and since you have a idle problem this would be a good place to look.

I have a 08 Ultra Classic, with a problem that no one can seem to fix.
To start with, the idol when hot (100 deg) outside will not hold at ~1 k unless I crank the throttle.
Now this weekend, the cruise control dis-engages when rpms exceed 3100.
Also showing codes, but no light for both frt/rear O2 high.

Shop has replaced battery, re-pinned throttle, compensator, both O2 and a "Faulty brake switch".

Had the same issue this past year. My experience may be of help.

The oxygen sensors are reporting a symptom and are not the problem. (I also replaced mine, with no change in the codes.) What I learned is the sensor will report a single high voltage spike and that spike tells the ECM of the rich condition. Its not accumulative, a single spike will do it.

You might want to try riding around the neighborhood at just above idle, with no right wrist action, and see if the codes reappear. You can also try accelerating as slowly and easily as you can and again check for codes. I found the codes would appear at anything above a gentle twist of the wrist, and I agree, this is hard to do in merging with traffic. Cruise speeds shouldn't trigger a rich condition, but its getting there that is the problem.

On my '07, and possibly your '08, the fuel pump/filter is listed as a service item at 25k miles. When I checked on doing that was told the interval was changed to 50k and not to worry. We found a torn rubber looking piece at 53k; serviced and replaced parts and all was well. My guess, and I agree with the earlier postings, is either the pump/filter needs attention or a dirty air filter, as either would cause the idle symptom and/or the error codes.

If you want to mess with the sensors, I have a used set along with the slotted socket and anti-seize to share. And for what its worth, you're not hurting anything by riding.

As for the cruise cutoff, the forum at one time had a RPM vs Speed chart for a Road King. RPM of 3006 equated to 80 mph while 3194 was 85. An even 3100 would be 82.5-83, a variation probably within specs.

Being in Phoenix, we are neighbors, and with the heat and the gas quality you are not alone with idle and performance issues. There is an Arizona Meet and Greet this Sunday, June 24, for a ride from Phoenix to north you would be welcome at. See Tank's posting under Regional Harley Davidson Riders: Southwest. I'll be there and will bring these things along.

Good luck, and hope to see you this Sunday,

Silver

What I learned is the sensor will report a single high voltage spike and that spike tells the ECM of the rich condition. Its not accumulative, a single spike will do it.

Wow, that should not happen. The O2 sensors are constantly being exposed to short bursts of rich mixtures.
But your saying that you had repeating codes of P0132 & P0152 until you changed out the torn rubber piece and serviced the fuel filter in the tank?
Once you did the filter tank service, the codes cleared and did not return?

(Doesn't make sense to me. Just try to learn "what works and what doesn't")

Thanks SilverFoXD, but I will be working this weekend.
The bike is going back in tomorrow for the PHD to try and fix the issues.

Fuel pump filter has been replaced along with the top hat for the pump. It has been in for the 30 K service before the cruise problem started, so air filter should be clean.
The repeat of the O2 running rich, has now shown up 4 times, so there has to be a problem they have not found yet.

Back