free website stats program Identifying H-D Accessories | Harley Davidson Forums

Identifying H-D Accessories

Randall K. Wilson

When I was in High School during the late 1960's our nieghbor bought this slightly used 1967 Electraglide.
1967-Electraglide.jpg

One thing I remember, although it was running, and he rode it regularly, he was having engine problems and he told me..."Randy they want $1,000.00 to rebuild the engine.":newsmile093: Of course me being an up and coming clerk making $1.70 an hour at the time, I thought "my God that is a King's ransom!" Now-a-days a grand spent around Harleyland is just a drop in the bucket.:s

Question...as I focused deeply into this image with deep interest the first thing that caught my eye was the tall chrome embellishment on the front fender. I have looked at many many photo's of vintage Harley's, but this fender treatment is one I have never seen. Do you think this is a genuine HD accessory, or aftermarket, or custom made?

Now the fender rail running around the edge of the fender seems commonplace, but that piece standing up is quite unusual.

Now the white bags have an AMF style logo that matches the gastank tank badge. Hence I assume the bags to be HD. But, I don't know about the tour pack. Do you think it was something sold by Harley as an official H-D accessory?

Please respond. It was interesting to get this image emailed to me from the former owners son. It has been 40 years since I seen this machine in the flesh. Now to have an image of it is really special, to a Harley enthusiast such as myself.:D

RKW

Randall that is a nice bike, my 68 did not have a front fender rail on it, the rail could have of been a factory accessory, if there was any AMF junk on the bike it was added in the 70's. That bike looks all original. Harley still makes front fender rails, there just more modern looking.

Randall that is a nice bike, my 68 did not have a front fender rail on it, the rail could have of been a factory accessory, if there was any AMF junk on the bike it was added in the 70's. That bike looks all original. Harley still makes front fender rails, there just more modern looking.

Chopper thanks, I stand corrected, this machine would have been made before the AMF years which I think started in 1971.
IMHO, this image is circa 1970.

Actually 1970 I think was the first AMF year, when they switch to the alternator style case. I think HD merged with AMF the end of 1969 but did not put a AMF logo on the fuel tank till 1971. Hard to say, I was still enjoying the 60's.

Actually 1970 I think was the first AMF year, when they switch to the alternator style case. I think HD merged with AMF the end of 1969 but did not put a AMF logo on the fuel tank till 1971. Hard to say, I was still enjoying the 60's.

Just got an update. This photo was snapped in 1972 and the owner sold this shovelhead in 1976. I'll always wonder if it is still around and roadable.

Looks like an aftermarke fender rackt, probably to allow a small sundry/tool leather pack to put there. There are similar type ones for the rear fender for those with solo seats and plain fender exposed all the way back to taillight/license plate holder. JMO

Back