free website stats program Idea for tank badge - need a metal fabricator? | Harley Davidson Forums

Idea for tank badge - need a metal fabricator?

Keithhu

Kind of a nutty idea here - I want to replace my tank badge with a custom one.

Have a look at this image: http://www.purplemoon.com/patches/images/P-SYF-cycle.JPG

I'd replace "Grateful Dead" with "Harley-Davidson", and change the year back to 1903, but keep the Steal Your Face image in the center.

Any ideas where I should look to find someone who can do it?

Or is this a bit too off the farm?

Make the changes you mentioned and I think it would be a nice "make it your own" idea. Go for it.:s

Personalizing your Harley to me is what it is all about. Or at least it makes owning one more interesting and expensive for that matter.

You are thinking outside the box...which is good for the brain, if it doesn't cause many problems or cost to much U$ currency. As far as procuring a custom whiz bang by golly tank badge that suits you....well it seems to me in the fundamentals of metal crafting an item like you desire we are talking either casting or milling procedures. However there may be more modern machine ways of doing this.

Now if it were me, I would start out by networking with a real deal skilled Machinist. I'm thinking a person with that kind of expertise would be able to shed some light on such a specialized tangible item that you desire. Hope this helps some.

Hope you can make some progress on your tank badge pursuit and please keep this message board informed on any progress. Perhaps other members of this site desire a custom whiz bang by golly tank badge for their HD.

Find one of the guys that do the custom derby and timing covers and etc. They should be able to turn you out a few pieces like you're looking for fairly reasonably. With a multi-axis CNC machine it should be a snap.

Personalizing your Harley to me is what it is all about. Or at least it makes owning one more interesting and expensive for that matter.

You are thinking outside the box...which is good for the brain, if it doesn't cause many problems or cost to much U$ currency. As far as procuring a custom whiz bang by golly tank badge that suits you....well it seems to me in the fundamentals of metal crafting an item like you desire we are talking either casting or milling procedures. However there may be more modern machine ways of doing this.

Now if it were me, I would start out by networking with a real deal skilled Machinist. I'm thinking a person with that kind of expertise would be able to shed some light on such a specialized tangible item that you desire. Hope this helps some.

Hope you can make some progress on your tank badge pursuit and please keep this message board informed on any progress. Perhaps other members of this site desire a custom whiz bang by golly tank badge for their HD.

Yep, maybe someone that does CNC work would be able to program the machine to cut that die. Not sure if it is a CNC operator, but I can ask my brother (he's a machinist) what type of machinist would fabricate something like that.

I think it looks cool and people that would be looking for the Harley badge would take a second look not knowing what they first saw.

rmarino14 - it would be great if you could ask, thanks!

I would think it would have to be slightly curved to accommodate the shape of the tank. Also the back would probably have to have some portion routed out so that I can put the double stick tape on and not have it stick out that far away from the tank.

So there's the issue of the metal, but there's also the issue of getting the art work on it! Hmmm...

Nice touch keeping the steal your face keeping Jerry in our heads, like I told you what I said steal your face right off your head. How about some pics, Jack

I'll definitely post pics if I can pull this off. I think its more likely to work as a derby cover, it would still be way cool. The guy at pangal can probably do it.

I'm even trying to get the same thing embroidered on a shirt. Way cool to have a derby cover and/or tank badge with a matching polo shirt!

Cool,I like Uncle Sam above your name I remember the first time I saw the movie LOL

PAYDIRT!

Bob from Pangal.com created the image for me;

Now the only question is tank badges only, or tank badges and matching derby cover?

Attachments

• SYF-harley shield tankbadge.jpg
    SYF-harley shield tankbadge.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 27
Back