free website stats program Iac | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Iac

While replacement price is cheap, I stll like to try cleaning intake system and IAC first, disturbing things as little as possible. Nothing worse than changing an irritating problem into an intermittant one to ensure I found the problem first.

The replacement since you have it in hand can be used as a spare, but if it is still in the unopened package, I would certainly return it if the problem is fixed...just a matter of my personal experience troubleshooting and stubborness (I saw "shotgun" troubleshooting, way too much going through the ranks in the electronics field.

Glens,
I agree that upon the ECM IPL or Boot, the stepper winds down to its zero position and then the ecm steps from that point base on the feedback it receives from the crank sensor. According to my schematics on my '09, the IAC does not have feedback within itself... but who knows.

I also agree with the lack of DTC code saying the IAC can not maintain desired RPM. I would have thought there would be one, but if there was one, the dealership would never miss something like that. Looking at stored codes is probably the 1st thing they do.

I am not trying to jinks the OP's plan of attack, because I do hope it fixes it. But I don't feel good about changing the IAC. I base that on the fact that he says the bike will idle OK when cold. That says to me the IAC will index up when told. If it didn't, it would be even harder at to keep running cold.

What's your take on the entire idle situation. Do you agree with my hunch?

Hoop!

I stll like to try cleaning intake system and IAC first, disturbing things as little as possible. Nothing worse than changing an irritating problem into an intermittant one to ensure I found the problem first.

Agree 100%. If swapping the IAC works, then I am pretty sure cleaning would have also. But I can understand the frustration Drumrguy must be going through. Taking your bike to the dealership and getting it back the same way would make me go crazy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey guys, I really appreciate all the input, but I really have no idea on the particulars of the timing, all I know is that the guy at Zepka Harley seemed to be pointing to the IAC, and that was the response I got on here, now one other thing, I usually have the idle problem all the time, the G.M. of the dealer where it is at said it did not stall for him, I thought maybe because it was cold out and maybe heat could be a factor. I am going to admit I am good with Pans, Shovel and Evos, but this fuel injection I really never messed with. I also talked to several Harley dealers about how they would go about fixing it and they plain out said process of elimination. At this point, the cost of the parts will be cheaper than the labor a dealer would put into it, so that is why I am picking this route. I know everyone here has their opinion, and I am confident, because I consider all of you "friends" even though we never met, because you all are here to help me out and give me great feed back, so I am taking everyones thoughts and putting them into my issue. I am confident that with all your help we will figure it out, and when it is fixed, have accomplished something that the dealer who sold me the bike could not do. What a feeling of pride and victory for me and to all of you for all your help. By far you are the best group of people I have seen and experienced on a forum. Hats off to all of you and thank you for your patience. I know I can drive everyone crazy, my wife reminds me everyday. Again, thanks for taking time out of your day to help a fellow biker out. :small3d018:

I usually have the idle problem all the time, :

If that is the case (won't idle Hot or cold) it does lean more toward the IAC side of what the problem may be. Unless your working on more than 1 bike, earlier in a different thread you did say that when the engine was cold, it would idle.

Question. I know you can keep the engine running when in neutral as long as you give the throttle some twist. Assuming you have a tach, what is the idle speed you must maintain to keep the engine running while using the throttle.

Hoople, around 900 I believe. But check this out, get to the dealer around 9 this morning, they said, "we found an issue with the idle and your bike is outside you can just take it from there." So, jump on the bike, run it up the highway up and down in the throttle range, just a little bit of popping but not bad, take an exit, bike stays running perfectly, so confused, because they dais it did nothing, got back on the highway, same thing, perfect. Now I am confused, so I remember what happened last Sunday when I rode, so I take the same route back to my house, no problems with the idle, very little popping. I do not know what they did, and like my salesman who sold me the bike said, even if they did find something wrong, they probably will not tell me. So as of now, the problems seemed to be solved, now, if they went into the SERT to turn the idle up, which the said something about the idle, and seen a set point of 1100 rpm, and the bike was idleing about 950 the said, I wonder if they found something and they just will not admit it. And at this point I really do not care, but I think they did something right. Also the new shocks are wonderful. Bike rides so much smoother and will not kill my back. I am confused, I think they just will not admit they missed something, but they were cool with me did not give me a hard time or anything. But I am going to put some miles on it, but like the other tech said, he thought the problem was the IAC, I am happy, confused, and baffled at the same time. As long as it does not stall though, I am a happy person. I hate when things are not right with my scooter. What do you guys think?

Without them telling you what they found, it is hard to say. The bike runs good now and that is great but the real problem is no one learned anything.

Enjoy your Ride!

Hoople, I agree, I am going to talk to my salesman later, he can usually find things out for me, but honestly, I have no clue and don't think I would beleve their service dept. anyways. Figure it out, they are very slow, hardly have any work, and had my bike a week for no problem? I found that hard to believe, especially when my salesman told me they were going to put a set of take off shocks on my bike, but they had a new set in stock, I talked to a parts guy who I go way back with, he verified that they put new shocks on my bike and not take offs, so, we will see what I can find out this week. I may never know, but I agree it would be nice to know. Maybe I could save someone a huge headache in the future.

Well guys, I find myself in the same situation that I cannot leave things alone. I replaced the exhaust gaskets, so while I have the bike on the lift, I thought I have the new IAC maybe I will just put it on, I came to this conclusion because it was maybe 50 degrees or so here today, my garage is a little cooler inside, so I started the bike and noticed that it went right to idle of 1100 rpm, I thought shouldn't that have been a little higher and then come down? So I replaced the IAC with the new one, put it all back together, started the bike, and wow, it idled up a little higher and then slowly lowered to 1100 rpm, I would think that is how it should be. I just gotta know what was worng with the bike, I know that they only cleaned the IAC because I had no problems loosening the bolts that hold it in, so if anyone sees a problem in what I am saying let me know.:)

if the engine is cold and usually first start of day it will fire up and have a higher idle but depending on last start and engine temp it might not .. Iac will wear out after time and stick

Back