free website stats program I was forced off I-85 @ 70 Mph | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

I was forced off I-85 @ 70 Mph

I am expeirencing more close calls than I used to. I believe this is due to the stock exhaust on my new bike. My sportster had screaming eagle pipes. The new FXDC is whisper quiet, and cages don't notice me sometimes.
I had already installed my Rinehart pipes when this happened.
I also was aggressively using the stock horn to no avail. I think the woman was engaged in socializing with a full car of her friends. In this case, the stock horn and my Rineharts did nothing to help. Awareness and reacting to the developing situation (and the throttle) is what kept me out of trouble. However, I’m confident that a set of air horns would have done the trick IMHO. I have a set that I was going to install in my other bike but now I will install them in the Ultra.

I had already installed my Rinehart pipes when this happened.
I also was aggressively using the stock horn to no avail. I think the woman was engaged in socializing with a full car of her friends. In this case, the stock horn and my Rineharts did nothing to help. Awareness and reacting to the developing situation (and the throttle) is what kept me out of trouble. However, I’m confident that a set of air horns would have done the trick IMHO. I have a set that I was going to install in my other bike but now I will install them in the Ultra.

The next step is airhorns. They really do work. My RK Police had them on it when I got it. I've been "pinned" between cars before... one in front, one behind and one that decided he wanted my spot. I was coming home from work and had my steel toe boots on. I kicked his door to get his attention. Adrenaline was pumping pretty good and I wouldn't doubt that I dented his door with my kick. He moved away and I cut over in front of him and used all 103ci (plus SE 255 cams) to get away from all of them.

I like the suggestion of a new friend who told me, "Easier to pay for a traffic ticket than Doctor bills".

I've taken his advice and pass aggressively, but not foolishly to get into "clear airspace".
I also cover the horn switch.

It's happened once or twice already that someone wanted to snuggle up to me without looking in the lane next to them. The simultaneous use of Throttle and Horn have gotten me clear of the problem.

Your indecent was more severe and I'm glad you didn't get injured, or worse!

Cheers!

Thanks to your visual alertness, quick reactions and maybe a little help from you guardian angel you avoided what could have been a bad situation. I had a similar experience August 7, only it was an 18 wheeler on Interstate 40. The only "close call" I had in over 2500 miles. We are all glad that you are OK.

I am glad your ok, you never know , and remember to ride like your invisable! my son was recently hit in the rear end at 55-60 mph while on his honda with his girlfriend. then the lady slowed and hit them a second time this time sticking the bike in the grill. the only thing that kept them up was the fact that the bike was really stuck in her grill. wana talk about adrinlen pumping. it was all I could do to keep from knocking her on her rear end (wanted to say another word but trying to be good this morning) anyway very glad your safe!

I am glad your ok, you never know , and remember to ride like your invisable! my son was recently hit in the rear end at 55-60 mph while on his honda with his girlfriend. then the lady slowed and hit them a second time this time sticking the bike in the grill. the only thing that kept them up was the fact that the bike was really stuck in her grill. wana talk about adrinlen pumping. it was all I could do to keep from knocking her on her rear end (wanted to say another word but trying to be good this morning) anyway very glad your safe!

Wow! I am glad they are OK. I would hate to think of what my reaction might be to the driver of that car if it was me involved....

Family is paramount. Thank God that your son and his GF are good to go

Back