free website stats program I trashed my bike today..... | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

I trashed my bike today.....

I'm with Breeze. I remember my USAF days, with lots of "Remove Before Flight" flags hanging all over the birds.

I just did my 23K service, and drained it all out, started removing my exhaust system, to access my cam chain tensioners for checking. In the process, I noticed a cracked rear headpipe. I knew that in the process of waiting for the headpipe to come in, I would forget that she was devoid of slick stuff inside, so I taped over my ignition and handlebar switches, with bold "No Oil", so I would not fire her up to see what was what, without refilling.

This is going to be standard practice for me, anytime I drain her. You influenced me to make it "standard practice".

Your scoot should be OK. Just ride her gentle for the first few miles, listening intently, just to be sure.

Enjoy,
Rich P

My memory isnt as good as it ( never ) was..:)..When I start something I try to stay on it till its done....This might sound stupid but, if I drain my oil and was going to leave it, I would pull the key and stick a note pad on my bike or something like that....When Im doing a job in my cabinet shop and I stop for the day If I need to, I will make a note where I left off so I dont make a mistake. This also helps me to get started quick the next day..I gess by doing all this, it means my mind isnt working to well..:bigsmiley21:..Oh well.

Seems to me that your mind is working really well! Not stupid at all.

Last edited:
yeah i still cant believe i did it. thats what i get for trying to do something while running late for work. it makes me sick everytime i think about it. sorry if i offended anyone in the first post, i was just really upset....

In my opinion you're not stupid, your just too busy and everybody makes mistakes once in awhile, dont be too hard on yourself, 10 seconds didnt probably harm your engine as there is still some residue of oil on your crank and rod bearing.

Everytime you change your oil put your ignition key right beside your oil filter and new oil haha, so when u feel like starting it you'll see the key with new oil and voila no oil yet cant start.
2 cents haha

tirebrokersf

A big THANKS!!!! to everyone. you guys are awesome. and thanks for all the ideas, you bet i will do all of them next time i change the oil. you really have made me feel a lot better, thanks again, you guys rock!

Lang

I did that on a car once a long time ago but I had the oil filter on. It was about 15 seconds before I realized what I did. I let something distract me.

I would not think 10 seconds trashed your bike.

A big THANKS!!!! to everyone. you guys are awesome. and thanks for all the ideas, you bet i will do all of them next time i change the oil. you really have made me feel a lot better, thanks again, you guys rock!

Lang

This is why we think we have the best site on the web. No matter what the question someone here will try to help. I find it relaxing to sign in.

Back