free website stats program I trashed my bike today..... | Harley Davidson Forums

I trashed my bike today.....

Lang

well guys i did it this time. i did learn something though. never try to do something to your bike when you're in a hurry. saturday i drained all the oil in my bike. motor and crank. i didnt have the oil and sunday i went to a swap meet. so monday morning i went out to the garage to do something else on my bike real fast before i went to work. well like a complete and total idiot i started the bike without putting oil back in it with the drain hose still off and no filter on. i only started it and let it run for about 10 seconds or so. then i shut it off and saw the oil coming from the filter area and the drain hose. i (EDIT) hate myself. has anyone ever done anything this stupid before. someone please shoot me. :(

Please read and understand the info in this link...

A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community

Last edited by a moderator:
We have all done stupid stuff like this. I hate to tell you this but you are going to get an infraction for language.
Ken

While I haven't started the bike before putting oil in I have started to put primary fluid in before I put the drain plug in. I doubt you are the first to do this and I know you won't be the last. For the short time the bike ran I don't think you have done any damage. Clean up the mess and refill all the holes. I always put 6 to 10 oz of oil in the filter before I put it on the bike. Once everything is buttoned up start it and let it warm up and take it for a ride.

yeah i still cant believe i did it. thats what i get for trying to do something while running late for work. it makes me sick everytime i think about it. sorry if i offended anyone in the first post, i was just really upset....

Many moons ago I forgot to install the oil pan drain plug on a 455 Pontiac cage before pouring in the fresh oil. I was on the 4th quart when I finally looked down at my shoes. :)

I would also say your OK on your engine. I wouldn't worry too much over it.

yeah i still cant believe i did it. thats what i get for trying to do something while running late for work. it makes me sick everytime i think about it. sorry if i offended anyone in the first post, i was just really upset....

As I said in my first post I don't think you have done any permanent damage. As for the language we are pretty serious about not using any or flaming, that way everyone is comfortable talking to each other. It's also nice to know you can ask any question and not have to worry about someone treating you poorly. Cheer up you and the bike will be in the wind soon.

Remember: Haste makes waste. The harder I try the behinder I get.
Everyone has made a mistake a time or two. I was putting front brakes on my bike and when torquing the caliper bolts I almost pulled bike off jack because I did not have the safety straps on.

Your not alone ..I have racked up some dumb things.. if you learn from this it s a +. kinda.. good luck.

And to add to what everyone else is saying, by being totally honest and telling your story here, you're helping an unbelievable number of members who might have done the same thing someday.

Thanks.

Back