I thought they were gone . . . . newbie alert!

Discussion in 'General Harley Davidson Topic' started by markfsanderson, Apr 30, 2012.

1. markfsanderson

markfsanderson Active Member

For the first time, I carefully looked at the Harley-Davidson 2012 catalog. I noticed that the Sportsters engines are all listed as EVO engines! For some reason I was under the impression that all air-cooled H-D engines produced today are Twin-Cam . . . Is the EVO going to be around for a while? Are there any other air-cooled engine types being built for production bikes today? Thanks in advance for the info . . .

Mark- thanks!:newsmile03:

2. Jack Klarich

Jack Klarich Expert Member

The Sporster has an Evo style top end, a major improvement over the Iron Heads, The Evo will be around in the Aftermarket for a long time, it is a very good platform and are many after market hot rod parts around:s

3. markfsanderson

markfsanderson Active Member

Cool! Thanks Jack! Now if I could just figure out a way to afford one of those 48's . . .

Mark!

4. fin_676

fin_676 Experienced Member Staff Member Moderator Contributor

Sportster engine has 4 separate cams one for each valve these cams are all meshed together by gears in the gear case
    if you look at the sportster engine you will notice that the push rod tubes are straight up and down this will keep the push rod as short as possible and give a straight lift which is all good fundamental design of the engine and it has been like that for a long time no need to change it as it works well

Brian