free website stats program I think my stator just quit | Harley Davidson Forums

I think my stator just quit

ironmark

Out riding and I noticed that the volt meter only showed 12 to 12.1 volts and at a idle it was down to 10.5 volts, so I turned around and went back home. When I got home I shut off the bike and tried to restart and the battery was to low so I have the charger on it now. I figured it is the stator unless the battery just decided that it was time to short out because it is around 5 years old. I will check the battery first but maybe it is better to just put a fresh one in anyways. I have the HD ESP so I only have to pay the $50 deductible if it is the stator.

Out riding and I noticed that the volt meter only showed 12 to 12.1 volts and at a idle it was down to 10.5 volts, so I turned around and went back home. When I got home I shut off the bike and tried to restart and the battery was to low so I have the charger on it now. I figured it is the stator unless the battery just decided that it was time to short out because it is around 5 years old. I will check the battery first but maybe it is better to just put a fresh one in anyways. I have the HD ESP so I only have to pay the $50 deductible if it is the stator.

Testing Harley Davidson Charging Systems - Tech Articles
have a look here after replacing that battery, if you do not see good readings that ESP will come in handy, Good Luck:s

Just replace my charging system a couple of weeks ago. My parts cost the better part of $500 including a new battery and voltage regulator, stator and rotor, and primary gasket and a bottle of oil. I did the labour.
Ken

Check out the link Jack gave you to make sure it is in fact your stator and also to see if your regulator may have been fried in the process.

Thankfully you have ESP so it will be only a small inconvenience for you.

However if you want to get a better idea of what they will be doing to your bike, check out the series of videos at this link.

Stator Repair - 1 of 9 - Removing Inspection Cover on Outer Primary Cover - YouTube

I Don't' believe it is the regulator because the voltage varies with RPM it is either the stator or the battery IMO

I just did mine as well and went to a 3 phase system.. Not that bad of a job.. the hardest thing to find is the right size wrench or socket. I have a harbor Freight tools by me and I was able to buy a single 1 1/2" boxed end wrench that worked perfectly.. This video was awesome BTW..

Back