free website stats program I think my starter is going but not positive | Harley Davidson Forums

I think my starter is going but not positive

CVOlover

I'm having and issue starting my bike on the initial push of the button,when I push the starter button it does not turn over, it simply makes somewhat of a grinding sound (like when its already started and u hit the starter button) . I'm hoping someone else on here has had a similar issue. It seems to start up no problem the second time every time . My bike is an 08 CVO road king with only 5000 miles on it, I'm hoping this is an easy fix

thanks,

Tyler

Simple stuff first - are you still on your original battery? Load test your battery and check for good, clean, tight connections everywhere before you start tearing out your starter.

Simple stuff first - are you still on your original battery? Load test your battery and check for good, clean, tight connections everywhere before you start tearing out your starter.

+1 on what Dr. Dolittle suggested, take a look in the self help section as well. Sounds like you could have a starter drive issue, do you have the extended warranty?

Load test the battery first, do you have a stock comp sprocket? H D had some problems with ring gears, do the simple things first starting at the battery

check the power to the starter. If not enough amps to the starter the contacts will chatter, making a noise similar to what you heard. hope this helps.

My problem is just paid 722.00 April 5th for a high torque starter that took dealer 10 days to get and now this morning, after a 20 mile ride, that high dollar starter won't engage, just click. Dealer got starer from Drag Specialties as well as a new Drag Specialties battery last year. Supposed to head out to Atwood Tennessee in the morning, but laying odds that won't happen.

Back