I think I screwed up, any ideas?

Discussion in 'Touring Models' started by Etraveler13, May 13, 2010.

1. Etraveler13

Etraveler13 New Member

I have a 2000 Road King Classic, and replaced the battery yesterday. Due to my inattention (bad mistake), I connected the cables to the wrong terminals
    red to ground, and black to the positive terminal. Nothing worked but dim lights. I hit the start button, and.....nothing but a fuse popping.
    I realized my mistake, and disconnected and reversed the cables, changed out the 15A fuse, and turned on the ignition, set her to run, and all the lights, blinkers, horn, etc worked fine, hit the start button...it blew the fuse again.
    OK, now I am scared..I am sure I screwed up. Any sage advice is welcome. No need to beat up on me, I have done that already...LOL

:bigsmiley15:

2. shovelrider

shovelrider Member

Does the bike have a standard ECM or do you have a Thundermax or other type of fuel controller such as Power Commander fitted.A friend of mine did the same thing & fried his Thundermax.

3. glider

glider Veteran Member

Possibly you toasted the starter relay being other things operate OK. Cheap enough to replace.

4. sharpscuba

sharpscuba Banned

I agree I would check the starter relay.

5. Sirxamoc

Sirxamoc Member

Yep, starter rely first,, then sweat after that. Most electrical systems have safety features to prevent Murphy from completely destroying your whole electrical system.

6. Gary101386

Gary101386 Member

Yikes I'm gonna be real sure to make sure i connect my battery properly... wow!