free website stats program I replaced my starter solenoid and the starter will not stop running | Harley Davidson Forums

I replaced my starter solenoid and the starter will not stop running

lewis

On my 77 ironhead I replaced the starter soleniod and it keeps the starter running, and the only way to stop it is to remove the battery lead. I looked over all of the wireing on the bike for any short to the frame, and I checked the starter relay to see if it may have a broken or shorting out on the frame. Do I need to remove and reinstall the solenoid to see if it might be stuck. I am not sure what to do can some one please help me in this matter. Thank you.

Check the start switch to see if it is staying on.

My harley can only be turned off by the key thank you HDDon

ooops my starter switch is new I replaced all of them about 3mo ago

Last edited by a moderator:
There is a wire that runs between the starter solenoid and the starter relay. I can't tell you the color because the schematic does not say. Disconnect that wire at either side. Does the starter motor stop running. If yes, the problem is not the solenoid.
(I am using the closest schematic I have to a 1977 which is 1976)

Give us some more details. What prompted you to change the solenoid and the switches. Any other changes, repairs or mods to the bike, etc.

well I had to replace all of the wires from the handle bars and the whole bike rewired. The bike wires were all bad so I had a friend from the Harley shop come over and rewire the whole bike. Last month I had my rotor from the ignition system brake off on the CRANE CAMS HI-4 so, I replaced it with DYNA 2000i and every thing was running grate intill one day my bike just died. So, I tried to restart the bike and the solenoid started to smoke, and I replaced it, and now when I try to start the bike the starter motor stays running even when I turn the key to the off mode. My bike dose not have the motor kill switch on the handle bars, so I have to kill it with the key

well I had to replace all of the wires from the handle bars and the whole bike rewired. The bike wires were all bad so I had a friend from the Harley shop come over and rewire the whole bike. Last month I had my rotor from the ignition system brake off on the CRANE CAMS HI-4 so, I replaced it with DYNA 2000i and every thing was running grate intill one day my bike just died. So, I tried to restart the bike and the solenoid started to smoke, and I replaced it, and now when I try to start the bike the starter motor stays running even when I turn the key to the off mode. My bike dose not have the motor kill switch on the handle bars, so I have to kill it with the key

When the solinoid shorted (smoked) is it possible that the socket was damaged?

HDDon you said that the socket might be damaged do you mean the plunger or the boot for the solenoid

Since the solenoid was smoking, there's a possibility the points welded themselves together being the starter cranks on its own or the plunges is getting stuck in the energized position. Best bet is to disasseble the solenoid and check it out.

From reading your post I am trying to determine exactly what switches are on your bike.
1. You have an ignition switch for sure which is currently how you shut the motor off. Did you originally have a run/kill switch and did you eliminate that switch when you rewired the bike or was your bike designed without a run/kill switch from the factory using only the ignition switch?
2. You also said "my starter switch is new I replaced all of them about 3 mo ago" so I am assuming you are talking about the switch (separate from the ignition switch) on the handle bar that engages the starter?

From what I can tell I think you have an ignition switch as well as a start switch but no run/kill switch. If you try what Hoople posted and the starter stops spinning when you disconnect the wire you will need to check the starter switch or the ignition switch (whichever you are actually using to activate the starter) and see why it is keeping the power on.

If pulling the wire does not stop the the starter you will need to do what glider suggest and disassemble solenoid. At least thats how I see it :D

Back