free website stats program I Remember when you could get, | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

I Remember when you could get,

I remember when gas was less than .20 cents a gallon AND you got green stamps and a free glass with purchase. When a regular Burger King burger was .17 cents and a Whopper was .39 cents. (Macdonalds wasn't in FL yet). When I first moved to FL, the hardware store sold switchblade knives for .99 cents. I sent them to several of my friends in NY for $2. I remember pushing a lawn mower around town happy to do a lawn for a buck, edging extra. The five and dime had a whole big section of toys for less than a dime (not great, but toys).
I remember big goals in life like when I first made $50 then $100 a week.
I remember all that, but can't remember to zip my pants all the time. :24:

I remember our old phone # in Baton Rouge...DICKENS 38018 (DI-38018)
RC Cole and a stage plank .17
Gas in Hattiesburg Mississippi @ $0.17.9 a gallon
Local movie show .25
Hair cut .50
Box of matches .01
Cigarettes .35
Loaf of bread .25
Who can forget re-refined motoroil at the full service filling stations.
Lighter fluid leaking from your lighter and burning your leg:p

Luckies were 23 cents a pack and you put a quarter in the vending machine and got 2 cents change inside the cellophane.

I remember when I was in the Navy and went to buy my first (and only) new bike and had to get the Triumph Bonneville because the sporty was $700.00 more and I couldn't swing it on a sailors pay.

I remember when my cousin bought a 1966 Mustang GT with the HiPo 289 for $2750 (that motor was a $500 option). He sold the car about 6 months later, went to VietNam, and returned to buy a '67 427 Corvette for $4300 and change....In the '60's if you were making $10,000 a year, you were in high cotton. Amazing how the times have changed.....

Oh yeah, 25 cents at the movies for a double feature, 3 cartoons and an episode of Buck Rogers, Commando Cody or some other serial and cash for coke and popcorn. great way to kill a Saturday afternoon.

Gas for .29 per gal.

Smokes for 20 cents, then when I got in the Navy 15 cents on base and 10 cents overseas. Just shows how the tax was set up. The state and fed made as much on a pack as it cost to produce. I bet the cigarette company was lucky to make 2 cents a pack.

My first new car was a 68 Plymouth Barracuda that cost $3400 for the Formula S 340 automatic. Of course I was only making $95 a week at the time. I guess everything is relative. I wouldn't trade today's technology for what we had in the 60s for anything though.

....a bottle of Coca Cola for a nickel, but then it went up to a dime in about 1953, as I remember it. I also remember Harley Sportsters selling new for $1,600 in 1962, Triumph Bonnevilles selling for $850, and Cushman Super Eagles selling new for $450. Minimum pay was 50 cents an hour, and as an 18 year old couldn't afford any of 'em.

Hmmm, I've been thinking on this one. Most of my 'wow's' are from when I was a kid. I can remember my dad's paycheck was $50/week & I thought we were loaded because dad owned his own business. I really thought I was hot to trot when dad got a raise to $150/week. :D We had 4 kids in the family and none of us knew how 'poor' we could have been. Thanks mom. :s

So, when dad was making 'all that money', mom & dad's house payment was only $72/month. :s

Dad only wrote one check that I know of, he came home from work one day & told mom they needed to go to the bank the next morning because he wrote a check for a new Cadillac. I went to bed that night thinking my parents were getting a divorce. :D

Back