free website stats program I owe this apology | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

I owe this apology

I made the apology that I did because I was raised to 'man up' and admit mistakes and to accept responsibility for my actions/words. I never thought that this thread would take on the life that it has, but, oh well, I guess that in a roundabout way, something good is coming out of my apology in that real discussion is going on about a topic that probably needs to be discussed...Now Im just gonna kick back. open a beer and read some more threads....Cheers guys....

So true, cursing is an excuse for ignorance I always say.

Here's a memo from Rear Admiral Ralph Davidson to his crew of the USS Franklin in 1945 I read from my Brother-in-laws fathers cruise book.Whew!

To the crew of Franklin:

My duty in Franklin has been very pleasant and I am proud of her fine work, and the excellent spirit of the ship's company. There is one thing, however, which mars the pleasure of being aboard, a thing which you too would find unpleasant in your home. I mean the silly and senseless use of profane and obscene language.
Profanity and obscenity are not indications of manliness; they do not show how tough you are. They are really the opposite of this. For they are used chiefly by little boys writing on fences, or by degenerates scribbling on latrine walls. If you want to be considered adolescent or queer by all means keep using them; if you want to be respected as a man cut them out of your conversation.

Last edited:
What about when your really mad! Sometimes it just happens. Does not mean your less intelligent. Just ticked, or frustrated. Just my 2 cents

In a heated conversation, a "colorful" word or two may escape ones lips. However, in this type of forum, where you must actually chose the words that you are typing, how can you honestly say that you "slipped"? In the time it takes to type any word you certainly can realize if it is appropriate according to the rules of this forum. In this case "Sometimes it just happens" just doesn't. Just my nickel's worth!

Here's a memo from Rear Admiral Ralph Davidson to his crew of the USS Franklin in 1945 I read from my Brother-in-laws fathers cruise book.Whew!

To the crew of Franklin:

My duty in Franklin has been very pleasant and I am proud of her fine work, and the excellent spirit of the ship's company. There is one thing, however, which mars the pleasure of being aboard, a thing which you too would find unpleasant in your home. I mean the silly and senseless use of profane and obscene language.
Profanity and obscenity are not indications of manliness; they do not show how tough you are. They are really the opposite of this. For they are used chiefly by little boys writing on fences, or by degenerates scribbling on latrine walls. If you want to be considered adolescent or queer by all means keep using them; if you want to be respected as a man cut them out of your conversation.

I'm going to print this one and post it on the wall in the welding shop:newsmile020:

What about when your really mad! Sometimes it just happens. Does not mean your less intelligent. Just ticked, or frustrated. Just my 2 cents

I think,at times we all may curse,but doing so on the forum isn't acceptable,and its a quick way to exit!:wall

In a heated conversation, a "colorful" word or two may escape ones lips. However, in this type of forum, where you must actually chose the words that you are typing, how can you honestly say that you "slipped"? In the time it takes to type any word you certainly can realize if it is appropriate according to the rules of this forum. In this case "Sometimes it just happens" just doesn't. Just my nickel's worth!

Thanks Doug,That pretty much sums it up!:D

From time to time I surf the net through many of the related bike forums and one thing that really amazes me is when I see some members here posting derogatory remarks on other forums about our forum or someone on this forum in particular.
It bothers me when I see how they can do that and then come back here like nobody knows what they did.

I guess it can be called immaturity or maybe even being a "biker", who knows. I call it two faced myself and can't understand how they can feel comfortable posting here in this thread in good conscience.

Doug, Steve and Glider. You make good points. I was just saying that sometimes it slips when angry or frustrated. You are right Doug if you have time to think it through. You have time to choose a better, and less colorful word. I guess my point is I don't think a man is uneducated if he chooses to curse at times. And do not think any less of someone who does. Just my 2 cents.

Back