free website stats program I need an advice on which bike to get | Harley Davidson Forums

I need an advice on which bike to get

Babanist

Hello all,
I am still deciding between getting a bike or a trike, the price of the trike i like is just too much so i need to do the math right.

Just in case i go for a bike, which bike do you think would best suit me keeping in mind im 6'1?

I like a few harleys but not sure they would fit me coz of my height. The other fact is im a beginner, just starting to ride and take classes now so would that affect the choice too?

Two words......De mo. Find a dealer or rally where you can demo them all. What are your riding needs? Bar hopper? Long distance? Commuter? Will you have a passenger? What is your budget? Certainly shop used if need be. Do you have a physical limitation with regard to a possible trike, or just like the looks?

A bagger like a King maybe right. It is quite a versatile bike. Removal of windshield and bags for a town hopper or the addition of componets for a all day ride or trip. Keep in mind that the purchasing of a trike with the many different configurations I would think the MOCO has the best trike for ride and handling.
Be sure to become well schooled in trike riding whether reading or taking a class. A trike is a completely different animal to ride from a bike and we don't want any accidents do to lack of ability to ride a trike...Best of luck..

Docster has given you some great advice. Once you finish your riding classes take your time and look at as many models as you can. If there are any motorcycle events in your area or you can travel to sit on every model and take a demonstration ride if they are offered. Your size (6'1") should not be a problem as there are many people who are taller that find comfortable machines. Most models offer different seats and different positions for foot position. You also really need to determine how much you want to spend, and just what type of riding you will be doing. Harleys are a great bike and there are many models that will be comfortable for someone your size, but there are other manufacturers and you need to see what best fits your needs and budget. Happy hunting and don't rush it.

Just my opinion but with riding a trike you miss out on the full riding experience. Leaning into the curves on a twisty mountain road is where the fun is. Always figured I would end up on a trike when I get too old or weak to balance a bike but will not do so until then.

Again, just my opinion.

At 6' I have no problem with my Street Bob even with mid controls, which I love by the way. The reason I chose this particular model was due to it's weight and simplicity. Wanted just a straight forward bike that I could learn on and ride 10 to 30 miles a day on. Did I make the right choice? Definitely!!!

LOW priced Low Mileage DYNA...

A lot of comfortable bike to start out with..

Then grow into a BIG Heavy Monster if you want to Later

signed....BUBBIE..

Thank you all for the great advice.. A couple of my friends are telling me get the bike you absolutely love and dont get one for tbe first year or so to learn on...now if i go that route, ill get one of three..
1 - night rod special
2 - fat boy special
3- rocker c

I will take your advice and test drive a few before making up my mind once i have the license.

The trike idea came to me purely coz i love how the tri glide looks and im not comfortable riding a bike since im a biginner but classes will take care of that i guess...
All the three bikes i mentioned can be comfortable for someone my soze i suppose as they all have forward controls luckily haha

No one can really tell you what is best for you. You'll know the bike and the model when you see it, feel it, ride it. Lots to consider..Solo rider? can you handle the weight of the bigger bike ( no matter the brand)?, Passenger? Type trips you'd likely tend to do etc etc etc..
Others may disagree but I think picking up a 'Beater' /cheap bike for the first season is a decent idea. Take your time learning on the road with a cheap/used/bike....By the time you're ready to move up, you'll have a much better idea of your wants and needs. Yes, the MC course is fine and will teach you a lot but...it's just a few hours, in controlled conditions. Take your time stretching out on easy roads, learning to really ride in real conditions. Finally, never ride with people who don't care enough about you to go slow and make sure you don't over-ride your ability and experience.
Best to you.

Back