free website stats program I need a veterans view on fault of accident | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

I need a veterans view on fault of accident

There are always consequences in anything that has meaning in life. Tough call whether to continue with the group or move on. Personally, life should not have so much negativity...that said..."What is your expectation if you go forward with this rally...? I would not subject your significant other to even passing accusing glances...I say move along to HOG or other local friends...obviously the other group is occupied more with themselves than to offer a forgiving hand...and remember, IT WAS NOT YOUR FAULT...failure to yield, excess speed and in attentive rider behind you was AT FAULT...he may have had more experience, but his performance before and after the accident clearly shows he wanted to save face with his fellow riders than admit he was at fault.

Glad everyone is OK now.

Hit from behind. No citation. Other cited. Not your fault.

But...No mention of you hand signaling to riders behind that you were stopping or
slowing. Sounded like you had time to signal.

I also do not care to ride in large groups. Ride with a few friends, 4 or 5. Did ride with a
group of about 25 Southern Crusers last summer though. No hot-doggers. Believe
it? Good communication between riders. All experienced riders/passengers. Good time.

ride safe

I think that whenever you ride with anyone, you increase the risk of something like this happening. I've learned from having my wife riding her own scoot to keep one eye on her in the mirror (for more than just her ravishing good looks :D). More than once I've had to miss a turn or speed up because her mind is off somewhere else and not paying close enough attention. Other times, she will ride in my blind spot where I can't tell how close she is.

Because I'm fully aware of how she rides, I can make adjustments that better accomodate her "other interests" on the road. That's less trouble than trying to get her to listen to me and pay better attention on the road; all she hears from me is "blah-blah-blah..."

Ah! TXMikey, clearlyyour gal probably looked over your shoulder while writing eh... "righting" that Post...good call!

Ah! TXMikey, clearlyyour gal probably looked over your shoulder while writing eh... "righting" that Post...good call!

No influence whatsoever was placed on me to express that sentiment.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it. :bigsmiley22:

Reason why I ride with "brothers" and wife for the most part. I know what to expect and they know what to expect from me. Most group rides end up in a problem of some kind. I would have to agree with most of the posts that the guy that hit ya, is totally at fault here. He should have been more attentive. End of discussion as far as I would care. Sorry for the black list, but why ride with those that have not clue as to what is acceptable in following others while group riding!
UJ

Quote UglyJohn:
but why ride with those that have not clue as to what is acceptable in following others while group riding!

EXACTLY!!!

ride safe

I am by no means considered a veteran rider, but would like to comment on the original poster's story and my thoughts...

When riding in a group, you are responsible for determining safe distance both in front of AND behind. Now, I'm not saying that the rider behind you was not at fault or was..but from what you are saying, it seems that by your own words you were not experienced enough to conform to this rule of basic safety and therefor should not have been riding that day in the group. I can't help but get the impression that the group you were riding with were all riding close together and you stopped abruptly without checking your rear, in which case the rear driver may not have even had a chance to stop in time.

You mention that their injuries were severe and had to be air lifted out. Yet, you stated that you wanted everyone to continue on...because you "spent a lot of money and time to be there" (paraphrasing). I would have found that extremely disrespectful if I were there, especially since you were part of the cause. I could understand and agree that you should not be called back to participate and to be honest I don't know what kind of guys they were but if someone acted like that when it was my brother or relative laying on the side of the road..we wouldn't have been so nice to someone acting so callous.

That fact that an officer who was not there says you were not at fault holds no weight with me. The fact that you state that riders who were there hold you at fault does.

I think you posted this thread not to find out whether you were in the right or wrong, but to make yourself feel like you are not wrong and what they did by banning you was wrong, and I'm sorry but I don't agree.

I really think that you are genuinely sorry for what occurred and have no doubt that it's stuck in your mind. How could it not? But I'm sorry it's just that I don't agree with the majority here.

Last edited:
You were not at fault, head to somewhere where you are welcome and ride, it's about the ride not who your with, but being welcome is a plus.

I'm in agreement with neocontra. How long have you been riding? Better yet, how many miles have you ridden? If this group was riding in a staggered formation then this accident most likely could have been avoided. Im not saying the dude behind you carries no blame, it does not seem like you were prepared mentally and skill wise for a group ride like this.

Back