free website stats program I need a veterans view on fault of accident | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

I need a veterans view on fault of accident

You were cleared of fault, whatever your expierence level is. Your example is why I don't participate in poker runs or tribute rides and the such. I don't want to ride with a bunch of people that I've never ridden with. Glad you are ok!

If he was charged and not you, then he was at fault in th emind of the police officer who investigated the accident and the insurance companies. If he was being inattentive, ie, clowning for the camera, then it clearly was his fault. like others said, if the rally was in his backyard with his relatives, ain't no way you are going to win, my friend. Look for other riders to go with if you want to group ride. Maybe a HOG chapter or local riding club.

I feel bad for the other guys injuries, as you probably do but it is his responsibility to control his bike and to be able to stop safely under all conditions.

Bubba

My vote is: Its the in-laws fault.

Some people don't care if they were in the right or wrong. And they will yap their mouths until people see it their way, and they think this makes them look like the better man. I let them do what they do, then go my own way.

Use that day as a learning exp. I was e-mailed a video of a rider in Europe, He was entering a 6 lane turn-a-round on the far right, left inside 3 lanes enter the turn-a-round, he was in 2nd from right to go straight, a tractor trailer came up from behind, didn't slow down and ran him over, all 7 wheels from one side, all this caught on the traffic camera, it taught me to always watch for the traffic in my mirrors, flash my brake light untill they stop, remember, always use your mirror, keep it in gear, and have a exit plan.

Like they said, find another riding group. You were hit from behind from a rider who was not paying attention, hence he is the rookie and HE got the ticket. Guess what that means..... Tell them your back is starting to hurt...... I promise they will shut up after that.

I think a more experienced rider might have checked his mirrors more often and possibly seen that the situation was escalating. At a 1/4 mile into the journey, I just wasn't ready for all this to happen. It's hard for a new rider to take in everything in front of them let alone whats going on behind them. I'm sure at some point I will be able to factor that into my decision making abilities, but for this accident and at that time I was not able to do so.

For those that asked, everyone involved is fine now, physically anyway. Obviously the mental anguish is still lingering. The accident took place a year ago and even though extended stays in the hospital were required everyone made it out safely and with no long term disabilities that I am aware of at least. The other rider apparently had more then fantastic insurance since it was more then enough to cover my rental, but as I understand it he now has a 40k bike as a replacement. So I think he actually came out a head if that is at all possible. Do I wish the guy any ill will, no I do not, at least not personally. It was touch and go as to whether or not he would try and sue me, keeping in mind people can sue for any reason regardless of whether they were the cause of the accident. So I had to prepare mentally for that possibility. However I'm fairly confident that all of this is behind us now other then to say the next rally is coming up.

I have a tendency to take these things personally and have struggled with this for the past year. My wife could certainly testify to that. She is sick and tired of the rehash of those 2 seconds and all the intricate details of the decision process, the events that transpired and on and on. I have kept every microsecond of that accident in my mind and do bring it's lessons into my decision process now.

I had no idea the HOG thing existed until last night. I just happened to be at the dealer picking up parts when I saw 70 bikes gathered out front of the shop. They invited me to join the ride and the club which I am now in the process of doing. Since I know of no other riders other then those we have spoke of, this will be a great way to meet other riders.

Thanks for the replies.

This is why i dont do rallies,but you got to be a owl out there a lot guys get smacked from the back especialy now in the age of cell phones and texting.Thank god you werent ready to take a dirt nap if you know what im saying count your blessings and pull off the road next time.:s

I hope just putting things in print, being able to explane, than reading over what you have written will help in setting your mind at ease. Things happen, sometimes to others, sometimes to us, when it does and you survive the next step is to move forward, maybe with you writing this to the world as you have, you can start to let it go.

There's lots of veterans out there looking for someone to ride with. Come to Rapid City and ride w/ me and my wife. Forget about that other group, ride w/ your significant other or some other responsible folks. Just be glad you didn't get screwed up physically, emotionally or financially.

When I ride in large or small groups. I pay attention to what's in front of me and I also make it a point to pay attention in my mirrors where people are behind me. You MUST do this or else ride in very small groups and space yourselves way apart
To me it looks like this incident would not have happen if both parties would have paid more attention to each other. Turn signals and a lite tap on the brakes before you slow down work wonders for letting people behind you know that you need to get over. Also keeping a 4-5 sec behind other's bikes should enough braking and turning away distance.
I hope all parties recovered and able to enjoy the highway again but also learned a valuable lesson too

28 yrs on the highway and hundreds of poker runs

Last edited:
Back