free website stats program I Must Be A Lunatic | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

I Must Be A Lunatic

Nobody stepped on my toes - I simply couldn't let this one go without a comment. I fully realize it's a choice, everything we do to and on our bikes is a choice. I just see too many people who are convinced it's NOT a choice. They feel like they HAVE to do Stage One or bump it up to a 103 because the stock engine is crappy - your choice of words. You can easily read between the lines of their posts - won't be happy until they can brag about the latest engine mod. If this is what you're into. go for it. But don't belittle the fine and dependable product that the MOCO is putting out. I can just think of so many other better bikes if you want a screaming performance machine.

WELL SAID!!!!!!!:D

If you want to do it, by all means do it. But please don't try to justify it by saying you HAVE to do it because a stock Harley runs so crappy![/QUOTE]

Doc ..to be honest I did it because I really did not know any better. Sounds crazy I guess. Never had a bike till I was 58. When I decided to get a Harley I like many others listen to lots of folks. I had no idea that at the time I could have bought a Screamin Eagle. All I knew was I wanted a Road King. A Road King because of my age was told by some other Vets ( where i got the Idea from a VN vets reunion)..I was retired and needed something to do..lol So I bought a Harley. Had no clue what I was doing. Of course I considered no other bike coz I believe ( my very personally opinion ) I will buy America, are as much American as I can( Hmm, and I know that rubs some folks wrong sorry! )anyway...If I could have felt more comfortable I would have bought a Ultra. Shoot! 5 minutes after I had the bike is was laying on the ground...anyway I love my Road King and we decided I was gonna learn to ride this puppy...I practiced and took the Riders Edge course..then i wanted to travel...as we have since I bought her ( the Bike ) we've logged over 43,000 miles from the east to the West coast. I did the big bore and all that stuff coz I pull a trailer and we ride 90 percent 2 up. I am very happy I did all this...Yes I've lost mpg and gained power but not to race but to feel more comfortable and safe..Hope that makes sence! Man I gotta learn to make my post shorter!!!!! So we all have different reason we do this. Thanks for listening.

Interesting thread. I have yet to take possession of my new DWG, but this will be the first fuel injected bike I've owned. My last bike was a '98 DWG and I did 'have' to do some mods to make it run right. Actually, I suppose I didn't 'have' to if I was willing to tolerate the nasty stumble it had from the factory - especially when it was cold. However, after changing pipes, having the carb re-jetted, and changing the air cleaner it was a HUGE difference and eliminated almost all of the stumble.

On my new scoot I ordered it with pipes, dyno-tuned PCM, and better air clean just because I wanted it to sound louder and run a little better (if possible). Heck, I don't really care if I ever use the extra power or not. I just want to know it's there! :p

Some of you hit the nail on the head though. Most of us ride Harley's because we love the bikes, and we'll each customize to our preference or wallet size. What a boring world it would be if we didn't!

Back