free website stats program I Must Be A Lunatic | Harley Davidson Forums

I Must Be A Lunatic

I'm going to purchase a $20,000 bike and then turn around and spend multibucks on making it run efficiently with a stage 1, or the like.

Just the way it is I suppose. :wall

Question: If having a shop do it, should it be the dealer or an independent? I ask because it seems weird that H-D would even do it at all with EPA restrictions all over their a**, but then wouldn't an independent be under watchful eye too? It all kind of reminds me of the days we'd go to some "friend" to arrange a smog cert.

One more question: Am I right with the conclusion it makes no difference doing it right away with the new bike or waiting a few hundred miles or so?

I'm going to purchase a $20,000 bike and then turn around and spend multibucks on making it run efficiently with a stage 1, or the like.

Question: If having a shop do it, should it be the dealer or an independent? I ask because it seems weird that H-D would even do it at all with EPA restrictions all over their a**, but then wouldn't an independent be under watchful eye too? It all kind of reminds me of the days we'd go to some "friend" to arrange a smog cert.

One more question: Am I right with the conclusion it makes no difference doing it right away with the new bike or waiting a few hundred miles or so?
You can thank the goverment on the extra cash we have to dish out to get them to run better.
If you are going to dnyo the set up, I would wait a few hundred miles and "loosen" the motor up and see how crappy it runs stock, after the changes you will have a smile from ear to ear!
As for having the dealer do it, they will make you sign a slip stating this is for off-road use and you did it under your own free will and not hold them accountable for it.

Yea, you got it all figured out exactly. We buy HD, spend $$$$$$ to make it Run, spend $$$$$$ to make it Look better, spend $$$$$$ to make it Sound better and finally spend $$$$$$ to make it Ride better. What’s yer point ?:42::rr

It's nothing that you couldn't do yourself. The dealers may try the warranty voided song if they do it. There are many ways to go here and they are within the reach of anyone that has basic mechanical skills.

This is something, quite frankly, I've never understood. Are you going to be racing your Harley? Then what's the great need to squeeze a few extra horsepower out of it at the expense of gas mileage and money out of your wallet?

This is a classic case of everyone trying to "keep up with the Jones." Bragging rights. Whatever. I could care less if you beat me to the next stop light by a few seconds - that's not why I got a Harley.

If you want to do it, by all means do it. But please don't try to justify it by saying you HAVE to do it because a stock Harley runs so crappy!

This is something, quite frankly, I've never understood. Are you going to be racing your Harley? Then what's the great need to squeeze a few extra horsepower out of it at the expense of gas mileage and money out of your wallet?

This is a classic case of everyone trying to "keep up with the Jones." Bragging rights. Whatever. I could care less if you beat me to the next stop light by a few seconds - that's not why I got a Harley.

If you want to do it, by all means do it. But please don't try to justify it by saying you HAVE to do it because a stock Harley runs so crappy!
Did not mean to step on any toes... By no MEANS do I race from light to light... Never said you HAD to..Its a choice and opinion like armpits, we all have them and some stink.
Oh and i do not know the Jones...and have not seen a uhaul behind a hurst...

Last edited:
Doc, first of all, nowhere in my post did I say I have to do it. These forums and other sources confirm time and time again that Harley-Davidson is making their bikes run lean from the factory to comply with the EPA, which is causing the bike to run on the hotter side and less efficiently. If you're not aware of this I suggest you do a Google search. AND if I plan to change pipes on it I am told I will need to do a few mods necessary for optimal performance and to possibly avoid engine/pipe damage, not as you state, to "keep up with the Jones' or retain "bragging rights." I have never owned a Harley and all I can do is research and ask questions in hopes that people who actually could care less might share some of their experience with me.

Nobody stepped on my toes - I simply couldn't let this one go without a comment. I fully realize it's a choice, everything we do to and on our bikes is a choice. I just see too many people who are convinced it's NOT a choice. They feel like they HAVE to do Stage One or bump it up to a 103 because the stock engine is crappy - your choice of words. You can easily read between the lines of their posts - won't be happy until they can brag about the latest engine mod. If this is what you're into. go for it. But don't belittle the fine and dependable product that the MOCO is putting out. I can just think of so many other better bikes if you want a screaming performance machine.

Back