free website stats program I love my pipes and the sound BUT! | Harley Davidson Forums

I love my pipes and the sound BUT!

GregNZ

Hi Guys we have just had a new law passed downunder were a motorcycle 250cc plus can not be any louder than 100db.I have V&H pipes on my bike and they perform and sound awesome.Can any one help with a way of getting them under 100db and still have a nice sound with out loosing performance?

Attachments

• DSC00233.jpg
    DSC00233.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 19
I dont think it is possible ,if you make it under 100db it will surely looses the quality of the sound.

But I am not any expert may be glider will help,he knows everything. :)

Engage the clutch while passing parked cops! Seriously, I make it a practice to idle back or clutch when the occasion calls for it. E.g., the other day I passed a family walking with a horse in a suburban area. Not knowing whether or not the horse would be spooked by the pipes, I pulled in the clutch and coasted by.

It may not be foolproof, but given all the jerks revving their engines at every opportunity, it certainly redirects the cops attention from me.

I'd leave em as they are and just stay off the throttle if ya see a cop. Most times it takes a while if ever before they try enforcing these dumb laws they enact. So if ya like the sound just leave em and take the ticket if it comes to it and worry about it then

Try Big City Thunder. They may not have a quiet baffle for your curved pipes, but worth a try.

Big City Thunder - Exhuast Dynamics

Here is a good link to compare what 100 db is...

Cool math Lessons - Decibel Levels

Good luck!
Thanks ill email these guys and see what they say.They are quoting a part number for curved pipes.My mate got green stickered last week on his Nightster with SE pipes and had to put his originals back on.Im glad i kept my original pipes as i might have to put them on to get my next warrant of fitness and then swap them over again and like you guys say take it easy around town.

Engage the clutch while passing parked cops! Seriously, I make it a practice to idle back or clutch when the occasion calls for it.
It may not be foolproof, but given all the jerks revving their engines at every opportunity, it certainly redirects the cops attention from me.

A good practice I subscribe to. It's the jerks that make it awkward for all.

By the way, can you be over 100db with a smaller bike ? :)

Back