I just did it......!

Discussion in 'General Harley Davidson Topic' started by harleybiker, Sep 17, 2011.

1. harleybiker

harleybiker Member

I just changed my oil by myself, oil, O-ring, and filter. I know to many of you it's not a big deal but for me it was and is a big deal. I feel proud with accomplishment and the whole job didn't take much longer than 30-45 minutes. Also used a bit of the blue loctite on the drain plug. Old O-ring was shredded. Put a K&N chrome filter on and replaced with Amsoil Syn oil, 3 quarts. Took her out for a ride of about forty miles or so and no leaks on my garage floor. Oh and I torqued the drain plud to 15lbs. Does all of this sound logical and correct? Thanks.
    hb

2. glider

glider Veteran Member

It sounds good except for the blue locktite on the plug.Not needed and probably didn't help with the oil in the threads of the case.

Glad you got your feet wet.:D

3. wilks3

wilks3 Junior Member

Nothing like doing it yourself!!! Do you have service manual for your bike? If not, highly suggested to get one.
    I did the 5K service on my FB, so I know, without a doubt, everything is as it should be. Including alot of $$$$$ in my pocket.
    wilks3
    :USA

4. Mongo1958

Mongo1958 Junior Member

Far out!!!
    I just flushed the engine oil.
    Next time I plan to use one of these
    ..::Rogue Chopper::Twin Cam A Touring Kit::..

[​IMG]

This thing lets you remove almost 1 quart of oil that is still in the engine AFTER you flush the oil pan. It's a little pricey but I like tools that help me do a complete job.

5. mat 60

mat 60 Senior Member

Good going.....Its a lot of fun working on our bikes..:)

6. ballpeen

ballpeen Active Member

Good for you,, and the fact that you belong to the Greatest Harley forum on the net, the knowledge here is just endless. These guys will help you with anything, they are THE BEST... Ride Safe,,, Tim

7. Jack Klarich

Jack Klarich Expert Member

Good job, tho next time I would skip the loctite:s

8. HDSickness

HDSickness Banned

I would skip the loc tite and the k&n filter and stick with oem. Had a bad experience with the k&n.

9. glider

glider Veteran Member

I agree completely with the OEM parts.

10. Bodeen

Bodeen Well-Known Member Staff Member Moderator Contributor

Yet another successful story. Good for you. Saved yourself some gas money too.