free website stats program I just bought a piece of HD history | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

I just bought a piece of HD history

TQentin1,

You have put a lot of effort into your Post, and let me be the first one to Thank You!

When I picked it up, it was at the Harley Dealership and he had just had the Oils changed and the rear Brake Light Switch replaced-said that he had driven the Bike less than 400 Miles since he purchased it (in 2000)-the HD Tech fired it up, and right away I could smell the old Gas-it would not idle without the enrichener on, and would hardly pull itself.

I will fess up and say that I did drain the Tanks, and when I pulled the Petcock (and Screen) they were filty-I cleaned them out and swished some new Fuel through the Tank-didn't see anymore debris in there, although I could have done a better job of it. I pulled the drain screw on the bottom of the Carbuerator and drained it. Then I bought some 93 test and put in some Stabil for good measure and filled it up. I then fired it up (wiht the enrichener full on) and it cranked right up. After I gave it a bit to warm up, I rode it around the neighborhood, and it did get a little better, but it would not Carbuerate cleanly from the bottom, so I think there is something in the Idle circuit, or a low speed air bleed that is obstructed-not sure. With the enrichener on, it ran great which took away any of the concerns that it might have a deeper problem.

Anyway, the Carb has to come apart-my problem honestly is that I work out of State from where I live (I go home on Fiday nights and am out on Sunday afternoon)-I make really good money, so time is where my problem is, hence the reason for the Thread, for I spend all my Saturday's working on my Street Rod trying to get it finished (I have been working on it for 5 Years now and just got the Sturgis last Month).

I have ordered a new Factory Harley Service Manual (along with a new Mustang Seat, I want to keep the original Seat from Wear and such and hate the seat currently on it)-

If I can't find someone I can trust to work on it I will, but it will have to wait until the Winter, and I had hoped to ride it before the Snow hits-I guess we'll see.

I will take your suggestion in stride on the Drag Bars, I just really, really wanted them-you are probably right though.

You know you are the second one to mention showing it, and I realize that it does have a bit of History. I don't mind showing it but I don't know where or what type of Show I would show it at-doesn't seem to me that it would be of interest at the local Custom Car/Bike Show as it is Stock-

JPT,

I agree with you on the Sturgis seat. I don't like it either. Have it up on the top shelf in the garage wrapped up in plastic. The bike wears a low profile HD seat that is effectively a single (has a narrow "tail" section on the fender - if you catch my drift). My girl friend (now wife) did not like that so I did go with the Mustang for totin' her around. Swap back to the HD when it was just me. Now I have an '03 UC so she has a lounge chair back there!!

On showing, you would be surprised how much interest you'll get from people who really understand what they are looking at. If you can find out her whole history, folks will stand there transfixed. The posers may pass you by to look at all the shiny stuff, but the bikers and wrenches will stand and drool.

Gary,

Your buddy and his Dad will definitely have a collector's piece if they can get all the original stuff back. Hard to do with too many owners. Folks don't understand the significance of numbered bikes sometimes, and throw stuff away!! But the old girl will be one of the very few left.

TQ

JPT,

I agree with you on the Sturgis seat. I don't like it either. Have it up on the top shelf in the garage wrapped up in plastic. The bike wears a low profile HD seat that is effectively a single (has a narrow "tail" section on the fender - if you catch my drift). My girl friend (now wife) did not like that so I did go with the Mustang for totin' her around. Swap back to the HD when it was just me. Now I have an '03 UC so she has a lounge chair back there!!

On showing, you would be surprised how much interest you'll get from people who really understand what they are looking at. If you can find out her whole history, folks will stand there transfixed. The posers may pass you by to look at all the shiny stuff, but the bikers and wrenches will stand and drool.

Gary,

Your buddy and his Dad will definitely have a collector's piece if they can get all the original stuff back. Hard to do with too many owners. Folks don't understand the significance of numbered bikes sometimes, and throw stuff away!! But the old girl will be one of the very few left.

TQ

Just a note: what you guys are doing is a very good thing, recyling American Iron in a positive way...bet you did not think you were doing an "Earth First" thing...while doing the things you love to do :D

Congrats on the bike... and TAKE CARE of her!

unless you wanna sell her (the bike, not the wonderful wife you have!!!)

If you are not gonna ride her much, I think shows would be good... as others have said, the history will GRAB the true fans. If MY wife and I saw your bike in a show, she would go past quickly... but then come back in half an hour to MAKE me leave your bike and look at other (SHINY) stuff.

Truly, you have a once in a lifetime chance here.... make the best of it!!!

Wow!

When I first Posted my find I was doing it in the spirit of sharing a story. I was happy because this has been my dream Harley, but I am a bit shocked by some of your comments-I have mentioned it to a few HD Shops and people who are in the business, and they seem to not acknowledge it-maybe they see stuff like this all the time or it's too old?

I am just happy anyway-few people I know have knowledge of the Sturgis, (even my best friend didn't know), so I thought I had a footnote of sorts.

I plan to keep it for a long time and make it look at least as good as it did new-thank you all for your comments, it is refreshing to know that at least someone will notice it when it's out and about!

Back