free website stats program I hate emission testing!!! Help! | Harley Davidson Forums

I hate emission testing!!! Help!

The Rook

Just went thru emission testing today and as I'm sure you can tell, I didn't pass. But I was REAL close according to the readout they handed me after taking my money. My 'Final Reading' on Carbon Monoxide was only .35 over what it should have been, yep that's right only .35.

So here comes the question...anyone here have advice for how I can pass emissions? LOL "pass emissions". In all seriousness please respond. I was thinking about putting in cleaner burning gas, or maybe cleaning the carb which is what the employee at the testing place recommended.

And as always thank you in advance for your responses.

Emission testing has forever been a HUGE stress for me, any help will be appreciated.

EDIT: Ooops...It's a '96 sportster with a 1200 motor, basically stock including the carb.

Emissions testing for a bike ???? I live in Canada and never heard of doing such a test or is this strictly an American thing

Certain parts in the USA do that .. i dont have to deal with it were i live

Apperently, dangerdan, it is ONLY an Amerikan thing, lucky us. Weee.

Hobbit: How would I go about "turn down the mixture just before i ride into the test station"? I thought the carb needed to be removed to be adjusted, is there a way I can adjust it with out removing the thing?

Just curious, but where is it that you have emissions on a bike?....and doing a complete tune might help, change the plugs and wires if you can, fill up with some ethonal gas. I assume since you have emissions on a bike you can find it some where. put a little octane booster in with that gas and make sure she's good and warmed up before you go in. I don't know about bikes, but they say on a car you should also have fresh oil. I don't know why but that's what I've heard.

Like mentioned above, lean it out a bit and make sure it's thoroughly warmed up. Ride it hard before taking it in for the testing.

No smog test for bikes here in Cal....yet. High CO is caused by incomplete combustion so like others said, change the plugs, set the idle mixture a little lean and make sure you're warmed up.

Back