free website stats program I got nailed !! | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

I got nailed !!

I know it may very, but about how much do you think I will be saving taking the tire off myself? I did once on my Sportster. I remember it was not all that hard.

I have mine done at a "metric" shop...for only the price of the tire there. They went through Motorcycle Warehouse (but of course they get special pricing but the tire was $130 for a Metzler, out the door a year ago)...maybe 1/2 at the very least of what HD dealer would charge, EVEN if I carried it in...don't know what they would charge for full shop R&R.

I have mine done at a "metric" shop...for only the price of the tire there. They went through Motorcycle Warehouse (but of course they get special pricing but the tire was $130 for a Metzler, out the door a year ago)...maybe 1/2 at the very least of what HD dealer would charge, EVEN if I carried it in...don't know what they would charge for full shop R&R.

Local dealer asked me $95 to replace the tire with the wheel on the bike..$45 if I R&R the wheel,whether I bought the tire from them or not...local Indy replaced it for $30 but I did buy the tire from him...would have mounted it free if I had R&R the wheel but I didnt have time to spare...it pays big time to shop around...good luck...:rider

I know it may very, but about how much do you think I will be saving taking the tire off myself? I did once on my Sportster. I remember it was not all that hard.
Everywhere around here charges 1 to 1.5 hours shop time if you take the bike in with the wheel on. If you take the wheel in with out the bike you usually get charged 1/2 hour at the same places. I go through a lot of tires and I like to take mine to a little shop down the road from me. I pay 20 bucks + tax and the kid does a great job. word of mouth is the best way to find a good place to get a tire mounted and balanced. I stick with the same guy because I trust him and I've had to replace too many brake rotors because somebody was in a hurry,careless or just didn't know what he was doing. Anyone can mount and balance a tire, but it's hard to find someone who cares about and has pride in their work these days.

I found a tire online for $147. Free shipping. Local metric shop will take off mount and balance for $65, if I take it off and bring it in they will charge $25. I am with RichardS I am thinking it is worth $40 to have the work done. I am going to check with my HD dealer tomorrow and see how bad they want my business.

Well the dealer is booked up until next week. They have first come first serve on Saturday's. Being that I am not one that likes to get up early it will be going to a local guy that has done work for my brother-in-law and dad. He is not a lot cheaper then the dealer but I will have it back sooner and I know who will be working on it. I feel it is worth the extra $40-$50 to have it done so I don't have to mess with it. Thanks for all the comments. You all are great. I am so glad that I found this site. I have gotten a ton of GREAT info from here. Thanks again

I found a tire online for $147. Free shipping. Local metric shop will take off mount and balance for $65, if I take it off and bring it in they will charge $25. I am with RichardS I am thinking it is worth $40 to have the work done. I am going to check with my HD dealer tomorrow and see how bad they want my business.

Can they give you the date stamp on the tire before they ship,or is it buyer beware? I am leary of buying tires before I can see them and check the date of manufacture. The older the tire is the risk of tire failure increases dramatically.

Back