free website stats program I can not relate to today's youth | Page 6 | Harley Davidson Forums

I can not relate to today's youth

I hope to give you older guys and gals some hope.

Im 23 years old. I have served my country for 5 years, my brother for 7. I volunteer in my comunity. I work for 3$ an hour on an ambulance to help out the smaller comunities. I respect my elders. my mother has spanked me. I have had a full time job since I was 14 (other than when I was in school). my mom could not keep my brother and I in the house when we were kids. I dont have a face book account or my space( I call it my face). I hate texting.

oh and I love the open road on my harley.

hope this gives everyone some hope in todays youth. we are not all that bad:D

marcus

Bless you for all that you have done.Seems that your family brought you up right and you have what it takes to be a responcible human being.

Sad to say, but it is not just (some of) todays youth that I can't relate to. But I've had a hard time relating to those closer to my age throughout my years. Those people I grew up with are now parents and I see where their kids get the lack of respect and simple decency from. I see the lack of what use to be common courtesy from middle aged people just from driving around. Those people are now parents and teach their kids the same behaviour.:small3d012:
The best story I heard comes from a small town baseball team that relates to the way some kids dress. A group of older members of a local team were sitting in a bar when a group of new younger members came in. Shirts untucked and hats on backward. The older guys saw this as disrespectful and couldn't help but comment. One kid retorted that they dress that way cuz their cool. One older fellow couldn't resist and said " really, I thought you wore your hat backwards so your boyfriend had something to read". With that the kids left.:p

I'm 26 and even I agree with you ;)

However, I do think the problem is wider than just young people. There is a tendency for disrespect almost everywhere you look. People are so busy with their own life that it sometimes seems to me they lost the ability to relate to other people, let alone care about them or their safety.

I have no clue what to do about it but I think you handled the situation like a true gentleman. I fear however that any action to "educate" will have little effect until they realize that all the things the have now through the actions of those who worked for them in the past, can disappear in a heartbeat (accident, illness, crime, war, etc.).

In the meantime, I just keep smiling at those who do the right thing.

Take care,

I agree with Safehaven. Bad manners is not necessarily related to youth however, I have seen older people "push" themselves to the front of lines and such or swear at people who are patient with little regard for their actions, thinking they "earned" their lease in life being as they are over 65 as well. Just acknowledge those who show good manners and judgement and those who don't...a well placed and though out comment should be sufficient. If they flip the bird...well one of these days some other youth will give him the same courtesy and break it off at the knuckle...

hands on approach is best left to those who are willing to take on the consequences. :bigsmiley32:

Last edited:
Here in California, all gas stations have an emergency shutoff switch that shuts down all the pumps. Comes in handy when dealing with a jerk like that kid............

Back