free website stats program I can not relate to today's youth | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

I can not relate to today's youth

Here's a thought, How many of us were raised by a parent or family member, someone who had an interest in how we turned out ? Today most kids are raised by a day care provider who, in most cases, is there for the money and not the long term training of the next generation. Maybe it's really the entire society's fault for allowing our families to fall victim to the economy and now we are reaping the "benefits" of a two income environment.

While I do agree with the connection to the two income environment, think you've also got to ask why don't these day-care providers care (is it they've already missed the bus as well and are just trying to turn the wheel to get a few bucks and get their day over with and not stopping to think about the greater oppurtunity they have).

My wife and I both have very good careers and decieded to both keep them when our first was born, BUT we took on a difficult search to find a day care that provided the same environment that we do when at home and we acknowledged that it would also mean more work for us when we are at home to make up for the time missed during the work day (both for attention and discipline) - it's a lot of work, but well worth it. Our daughter is now three, and although she's as much of a handful as any three year old - she understands right and wrong, her teachers and friends parents are Mrs or Mr (ok we do let her use first names, but Mrs or Mr First Name), and knows how to behave and what to expect when she doesn't... people often tell my wife and I how impressed they are with her behavour - something I still don't understand as I believe that should be the norm...

Not directly related, but this reminds me of a poster I saw after church this weekend: If you do what you NEED to do, when you NEED to do it - someday you will be able to do what you WANT to do, when you WANT to do it...

Rent a copy of "Second Hand Lions" and enjoy the hooligan beat down lesson on how to respect your elders. Then watch the "The Fastest Indian" just caus it's good.

Chestnuts are lazy.:16:

The lighting of the cigarette puts both of you in danger. you could always just spend an extra quater on gas and hose down his sandels. Most of the kids can flip a pretty good bird but only do it from a distance where they know they will not have to back it up.

The 20 something kid smoking at the gas pump and then being beligerent after being called on it doesn't surprise me. We have "young adults" working in my department at work that are just plain "I don't give a (EDIT) attitude. Not much of a work ethic, need prodded along constantly, and not very dependable. And guess what? They are making $50,000 plus a year starting out! And oh yes, they are owed something...... what it is is beyond my 50 year old of thinking.

I'm not in their inner circle or cool since: A.) My age. B.) I have a work ethic and let them know I wouldn't push the envelope at work with job security issues. C.) Don't play Mafia Wars on facebook. D.) Don't own a Portable Play Station gizmo. E.) Ride a ancient Harley Davidson, not a 150mph plus metric machine. I could go on about todays youth but I'd run out of letters in alphabet.

Last edited by a moderator:
BRAVO, my friend! You showed more self disapline than I might have. And if i wouldnt have ,then in todays politically correct world I would have been charged with assault. It seems to me that after 20 years of military service and 3 combat deployments, i have to realize these punks dont care about anything, other than themselve. They certainly dont care that over 4000 men and woman have given their lives for their freedom IN JUST THE CURRENT CONFLICT. its sickening. Thanks for you service to country and community. GOD BLESS THE UNITED STATES

A lot of the kids just hitting the young adult stage today are in poor shape. They see far too many people doing nothing and getting paid for it by the government. They have been told and are convinced that no knowledge not paid for and attained by listening to someone with a PhD tell them how to think is worth anything. They have been so twisted with seeing violence everywhere yet being told every two seconds that violence is never justified that they think of physical confrontation as something you threaten but never commit... unless you have an overwhelming advantage like 5 guys on 1, or a weapon. They have been told the world is their oyster and they are the future leaders of the world, but we live in a country with the government in a steep decline because no one teaches leadership anymore. It is just assumed that education and deep thought is better than real leadership and the ability to make a decision and then do something about a problem. They are told that everyone has the same opportunities, but they see that unless they know the right people and tow the party line they can never hope to be an elected official.

A few are even smart enough to see that trying to fix things with a vote is probably not going to happen. The choices we are given in any election is a pick of two people that have mass amounts of cash and have gotten the blessing of political minded people that lead the parties that brought us the housing meltdown, the financial meltdown, the training of the American people to live on debt, and how to fight a war for years and years without actually accomplishing anything (aka War of Drugs, War on Terror, and Afghanistan). All that, yet they are still picking the same type of people and running politics with the same in-fighting and divisive backbiting. And before anyone gets upset, yes I served in the military and I was in the middle east getting my combat pay back in the early 90's when we should have solved a lot of the problems we are facing now.

Sorry to get on a soap box, but your story is just an example of the rotting of America. It is still the greatest nation on Earth, but for how much longer when each generation that takes power seems a little less prepared than the one before it?

BTW, I am betting an old school cop would have agreed it was justifiable self defense to punch the punk to keep him from blowing the station up, but the DA with all his years of schooling would have put you behind bars for assault. That is coming from a guy working on his Masters in Engineering who sees the arrogance of most of the other students he has to deal with day in and day out.

I have seen this disrespectful type of behavior for all of the 17 years I have been teaching. I have worked in private and public school settings, and can honestly say that in the 5 different schools I have taught, (elementary, middle, and high school level) at least 75 percent of the students have little if any respect for adults or their peers. It is sad that things seem to get worse every year. The 20 year old you ran into is a product of what he has learned in his environment up until this point. Behaviors are extremely hard to change.

The one good thing that I can say about today's youth...well at least mine, meaning my youngest son, is that he is right now serving this great country in Afgahnistan.If you were to ask him why he would respond that it is his duty as a young man to do his part for his country. I guess that like Smitty and some others I was blessed with a child who knows how to show respect.

One of the primary reasons for the low crotch baggy pants is to hide things they aren't supposed to be carrying! Illegal alcohol, Dope, weapons etc.:bigsmiley18:

One of the primary reasons for the low crotch baggy pants is to hide things they aren't supposed to be carrying! Illegal alcohol, Dope, weapons etc.:bigsmiley18:

I thought that it was just their mentality that they were just to dumb to pull their pants up. You know like your Mom always told you to do way back when you were a little tike.

Back