free website stats program I begin to wonder..... | Harley Davidson Forums

I begin to wonder.....

tlyoungb

I have been reading all the threads on these Cam Chain Tensioners, and some of the horror stories I read, I begin to wonder. I picked up a 2005 Electra Glide Standard from my local HD Dealer here. I have always wanted to get back on a HD.

It had 21,000 miles on it whe I got it. Things runs like a dream, and I am very happy with it. I did get the extended warranty with it. I guess that was a good move. Now after reading all these threads, got me scared to ride it. Man wondering if the bike is going to quit running or not. Did they make any changes in 2005 to the Twin Cam engine? I just had the 25,000 mile service done. Using the Amsoil 20w 50 in engine and Trans, and Maximum full sysn in Primary. So far everything is working great.

I am getting ready for a long ride here in June. Heading up to Knoxville Tnn for the Honda Hoot. I was the owner of a VTX 1300 Retro when it got ran over about a month ago. So I am taking the EG now. I am looking foward to the ride.

tlyoungb

When you remove the cover to inspect to chain and tensioner, is there any gasket/oring/seal on the cover that have to be replace?. Mine is up to 18K, run great, but just wondering.

There doesn't seem to be any rule of thumb with these tensioners, some go in under 15K and others have lasted up near 100K.
The newer part that has a flat surface as compared to the older ones that was curved and was considered the fix by harley but still has it's problems too with premature wear. Cheaper to check them periodically than to replace an engine IMO.

So it looks like to me they made no changes to the 2005 TC, and it is the same engine in 2006. My 2005 EG is stock. Sometimes I would like to makes some changes, but man she runs so good stock and gets such great gas mileage.

Nice thing about this HD, unlike my VTX. When I need parts, I can get this PDQ from HD. Man when I needs parts for my VTX, it was weeks befor I got them. Seems like the Honda dealer never had any parts in stock at all.

You are all right. Inspect them often than not. I made mention of my miles to show that some do last. The bike is also "hand made".....I did'nt catch that one sorry.

Back