free website stats program I am soooooooooooooo NOT computer savvy!Help | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

I am soooooooooooooo NOT computer savvy!Help

Double click My Computer then double click the C: drive then go to the WIndows folder then the INF folder.

Right click srchasst.inf file and select install you will need your Windows XP CD or the i386 folder on the local drive.

Hope this fixes the issue for you.

Marino, What does that file contain?

Marino, What does that file contain?

A INF file is a setup file. So all it is a plain test file with info on how the system will install the software. I'm hoping that running the installer will reinstall any missing or corrupt files for the search program.

A INF file is a setup file. So all it is a plain test file with info on how the system will install the software. I'm hoping that running the installer will reinstall any missing or corrupt files for the search program.

Kool... I have to remember that tip! Tks

You Guys Rock! thanks ...i'll try it tonight after supper...thank ya all will let y'all know if it get back to normal.

A system restore does not always fix a problem. Its a last resort measure.
Msconfig is a tool for disabling software that can cause problems on a PC. Just make sure you DO NOT disable Microsoft wireless mouse or keyboard. If Msconfig does help in finding the problem, the next step is to find the offending software and that can be a painfull process.

Try this first:
1. Right click on C:\ and select properties
2. Go to the tools tab and select Error Checking and click on Check Now
3. Place a check mark IN BOTH boxes and select start.
4. Restart your PC
5. When the PC start, let it do its thing and wait (This will take some time. )

If this does not help do a XP Defrag. (This may also take some time)

Other things that might help:

1. Registry Cleaners (CleanMyPC) software
2. Virus software
3. MalwareBytes software
4. Clearing your cookies and *.tmp files

Last resort is to reinstall XP

Some of this is very time consuming (2-4 hrs) but needs to be done as it will identify potential HARD DRIVE problems, Xlinked files and Virus/Spyware.

Do you have a teenager in the house who can "fix' it for you? Or bribe one with pizzia and a few $$.

In fact my 14 year old grandson shook his head and said" Grandpa all ya had to do is ask" he grabbed a copy of the Windows XP cd and went to one of the folders drag and drop it somewheres and waaa laaa My little dogs back home and everything working great...Merry Christmas to all of you for helping Maybe my next question will be about the ice maker.....( Kidding)....!:swoon

I read this whole post all the way through and I am glad to see that it had a happy ending. We all have had our fair share of computer problems.

Back