free website stats program I am soooooooooooooo NOT computer savvy!Help | Harley Davidson Forums

I am soooooooooooooo NOT computer savvy!Help

Fourdogs

I am one of the guys that has washers, cleaners, reg clearer uppers... anti virus's....Driver cure ..ya know the whole ball of wax. So heres my problem all of a sudden i don't have the lil dog that searches my computer for files..what I mean is i have windows XP and i hit Start...then search...but now i hit search the dog stays home i guess...coz he ain't there, but what so bad it will cause my Task Bar (the thing at the bottom thats blue) my pointer will turn into a hour glass but nothing will work when i click on it . I can click from the desk top and it will work but my task bar freezes and i can't turn off my computer w.o reseting it...I hope someone understand all this ...can anyone tell me what i need to do. :(

Hard to say from here but try this and report back. Bear with me, not using XP on this computer.
Boot computer. From desktop click Start, then Run. Type in MSCONFIG, hit enter. Click "Startup" Tab. UN-click Everything. Click "apply". Click OK.

Reboot. Go Back to the "Startup" tab on the MSCONFIG screen. Has any program re-clicked itself back "ON".? If no, just exit the msconfig menu & try computer and see how it responds.

Oh and the little dog. You just have to turn "attemation" (sp?) back on from the search (find) screen. Don't know how it would have turn off by itself. Can someone else use your computer.

I should have asked you that question from get go...:p

Last edited by a moderator:
Hard to say from here but try this and report back. Bear with me, not using XP on this computer.
Boot computer. From desktop click Start, then Run. Type in MSCONFIG, hit enter. Click "Startup" Tab. UN-click Everything. Click "apply". Click OK.

Reboot. Go Back to the "Startup" tab on the MSCONFIG screen. Has any program re-clicked itself back "ON".? If no, just exit the msconfig menu & try computer and see how it responds.

Oh and the little dog. You just have to turn "attemation" (sp?) back on from the search (find) screen. Don't know how it would have turn off by itself. Can someone else use your computer.

I should have asked you that question from get go...:p

I mess with photos..I've made several disc of our rides we have almost 2300 digital pics,and i add music to them.Then i put it to a disc . I enjoy music so I've downloaded a lot of music and even some guitar lessons and stuff and watch a lot of U Tube stuff everything from How to Vids to music vids...so i was told to run a program called window washer. and about every other month or so to wash "Slack space" with I don't even know what slack space is but thats when i think my dog disappeared.

Click Start.... Click "MY Computer"..(may also be on deskTop),, Right click on the C drive,,, Click "properties"

How much of the Pizza pie is used and how much UN-used disk space do you have left on the C drive.

Click Start.... Click "MY Computer"..(may also be on deskTop),, Right click on the C drive,,, Click "properties"

How much of the Pizza pie is used and how much UN-used disk space do you have left on the C drive.

it says 37.2 free space 13.2 free space

Want to know Free vs used proportion. Red is "used" and blue is "unused"
What is the ratio.

Do you have at least 1 slice of unused pizza?:p

should I defrag ...lol I am not sure what the pizza thing means ...see told ya am pretty much a idiot when it comes to this stuff....lol sorry its total space 37.2 and free is the 13.5 lol G.B. I do know ya making me hungry!

In Windows XP's Program Menu there is System Tools folder and in that folder is a System Restore program. You want to pick a date in the System Restore program folder at which point you are sure everything was working as it should. It should have several restore point to choose from.
WAP.gif

Well this is my luck i get a window that says"System restore has been turned off Do you want to turn on System Restore Now" guess it a lil late for that huh?..:swoon <====i lov this lil guy!

Double click My Computer then double click the C: drive then go to the WIndows folder then the INF folder.

Right click srchasst.inf file and select install you will need your Windows XP CD or the i386 folder on the local drive.

Hope this fixes the issue for you.

Back