free website stats program Hypercharger | Harley Davidson Forums

Hypercharger

TRichardson

Hi All - Could someone tell me the differences / pros - cons of getting the kit to install a K&N air filter for a Stage 1 upgrade as opposed to a Hypercharger? I was looking at the self-help section and saw the kits and the prices and then went online and saw the Hyperchargers that used the K&N filters. About 100 bucks difference. I would just like to know the difference as this is my first fuel injected bike. Any info would be appreciated - Thanks____

ive got a hypercharger on my carbed bike and have never had a problem. im not totally oriented around performance, and i dont claim to underestand it all, but i seem to get a snappy response at all speeds. and have never had any fuel or oil blow by it. im sure there is alot better air intakes out there if you are trying to squeeze a little more power out. for a layed back rider like me it works fine and it looks good.

Both products are high flow systems. The hyper charger looks cool, but according to kuryakyn it does not act as a ram intake. There are moving parts that are vacume driven so you have more maintenace and parts to possibly fail. I know several people who have them and don't have any problems with them.

I personally have run the Big Sucker and currently an HD Heavy Breather. Both work great, I just got a great deal on the Heavy Breather and liked the looks of the open element filter. The Heavy Breather has a rain sock that keeps the filter from eating a bunch of water in the rain. I'm not sure how the hyper charger would perform in a heavy rain.

Thanks Guys for all the good info from both sides - I read the link you sent Glider, and is seems that for the money and the possible problems with the hypercharger, it sounds like the SE stage 1 kit is the way to go - I'm not a power junkie and just want a little more push when riding two up - Again, thanks everyone for all the great info and the quick responses I get here every time I post a question - The knowledge you guys have is superb! - - - -

I have a hypercharger on my evo and it made a difference , now they say it doesnt help the Twin cam as much , I have never had a problem with it

It's claimed that the taller K&N makes the difference with the hypercharger over the stock short filter and not the unit itself.

It's claimed that the taller K&N makes the difference with the hypercharger over the stock short filter and not the unit itself.

Makes sense Glider.
I have a Hypercharger on my 2006 Street Bob, 88 inch with FI. No problems. No highway "suction" issues. I think that article is a definite attempt to discredit Kuryakin's hyperchargers. My boots are clean, my bike is clean. No dripping here. My vacuum lines work well. And yeah it looks cool.
hypercharger.jpg

I don't think you will be disappointed in the performance or the looks.

Last edited:
If you're going to go with the S/E I have read that while it has a K&N filter it is still more restrictive than the one K&N puts in their kit. I think both cost about the same. I'd go with the K&N for the better performance at the same price.

IMHO that article is flawed as it states

"but when you accelerate, opening the carburettor or throttle body butterfly - the manifold vacuum drops causing the Hyper-Charger's butterflies to close."

That is exactly opposite to what actually happens. Prior to starting the bike the butterflies are wide open, at idle and cruising speeds they are only slightly open because of the high vacuum pulling against the butterfly actuator. When the throttle is cracked open and the vacuum drops the butterflies open because there is not enough vacuum to hold the spring pressure.

I have had one on my ride for 8,000 kls. and never had a problem as noted in the article. I also have a K & N filter that was changed out for the hypercharger and the difference in power between the two is noticeable.

Back