free website stats program Hylomar | Harley Davidson Forums

Hylomar

Butch

Replacing my oil pan and the manual says to use Hylomar Gasket Sealant. Not familiar with this brand and searching here I see several types. What would be the difference between, and which would be the better version for this project:

Hylomar Gasket and Thread Sealant
(This is from the vendor link here)

- or -

Hylomar Universal Blue Non-hardening Gasket Sealer
(This seems to be the preferred in discussions here)

Thanks.
-Butch

I have been using the hylomar blue for many years and can say that it is very effective
My dad told me it is what Rolls Royce used on their joints no gaskets just hylomar blue that advise was offered some time prior to 1978 and I have had a tube in my toolbox since

Brian

P.S. Not the same tube all that time it does run out from time to time :(

Just removed the oil pan (03 FLHT) during an engine rebuild. Didn't use any sealant. Was able to re-install the pan with the gasket loose. An alternative that should work would be to use some thread tied thru a few of the bolt holes (pick the ones easy to get to) in the pan and gasket. Once a few bolts are started you cut the thread and remove it from each hole and continue installing bolts.

In the autmotive business for years and just used a dab of grease to hold gaskets in place and because it is a petroleum product it will dissolve in oil.

Another fan of installing gaskets dry.

If you have not installed your oil pan yet and have an extra $60 or so, toss the old pan, baffle and spring and replace the pan with the later pan with the built in baffle and no springs. Pan R/R is a piece of cake. The PN is 62489-99A.

As you know by know, R/R of the early oil pans is no fun.

I have been using the hylomar blue for many years and can say that it is very effective
My dad told me it is what Rolls Royce used on their joints no gaskets just hylomar blue that advise was offered some time prior to 1978 and I have had a tube in my toolbox since

Brian

P.S. Not the same tube all that time it does run out from time to time :(

That was too Funny Fin_676,
Not the same tube all that time,it does run out from time to time:

Back