free website stats program Hydroplaning | Harley Davidson Forums

Hydroplaning

zoood

Product Contributor
I had my first time experience of hydroplaning with my trike. Most tires out there with straight grooves works for wet pavement but not in long puddles. So I purchased the type on the left as seen in the picture. Their directional. The ones on the right. If you look closely at the tread pattern they dont disperse or redirect the water flow. The one on the left I placed an arrow showing the running direction of this type tire. They're rated for 80,000 miles and 149 MPH.

529725_10200167914618041_67428674_n.jpg

Assurance Triple Tread All Season by Good Year

zoood

Happy to see you did make it thru. If possible, I always slow down during a heavy rain or when the water is puddled up in places. Hydroplaning IS very real and reduced speed is a good deterant to hydroplaning. Of course, then you may have to worry about some clown coming up behind you 90 mph and running over you!!! been there too. Perhaps just pull over or off the road at the first/next opportunity and wait to be safe.
(EDIT) appreciate your post on the rain tires though!!! Thanks
Bill

Good Year Assurance Triple Tread is a VERY good choice, let us know how you like them:D

The biggest problem is the weight of the trike. Not really heavy enough to push the water to the outside of the tire. Been there, done that.

Happy to see you did make it thru. If possible, I always slow down during a heavy rain or when the water is puddled up in places. Hydroplaning IS very real and reduced speed is a good deterant to hydroplaning. Of course, then you may have to worry about some clown coming up behind you 90 mph and running over you!!! been there too. Perhaps just pull over or off the road at the first/next opportunity and wait to be safe.
(EDIT) appreciate your post on the rain tires though!!! Thanks
Bill

Hydroplaning isnt something new to me. It's just that riding a Trike. You have to be cautious as to where you allow your tires to ride on the roads surface. If need too. I slow down or even stop when its safe to do so. My latest experience was from riding on these secondary roads. That constantly have over loaded feed trucks running on them. Their weight causes tire ruts in the roads pavement. Which fill with water when it rains. The grooves arent perfectly formed and there's always a place or two that will redirect a tire's direction, causing it to hydroplane. It did it twice to me and both times it wanted to direct me into the oncoming traffics lane.
This is why opted to find a tire tread that would prevent or greatly reduce the chances of hydroplaning.

zoood

Back