free website stats program Hydraulic or easy pull clutch? | Harley Davidson Forums

Hydraulic or easy pull clutch?

zoo-mon

I had a clutch cable break on me saturday. I was lucky enough to have an extra one. A friend had to go get it out of the garage. But I have been thinking about going with a hydraulic, or an easy pull system. They are pricey but no more broken cables in the middle of well you know where. I have been looking at them, not to much to them just another hyd. line to bleed. The easy pull just bolts on, is it really 40% or 50% easyer. Is it easyer on the cable. Replaceing a cable every 2000 miles or so can cost $ also.

The hydraulic units are over rated and have the usual drawbacks like fluid leaks sometimes and bleeding. They offer little in the way of reduced lever effort too.

I use the easy pull units from burly. They make a very noticable difference and the mechanical advantage makes it a bit easier on the cables. There's also a newer type of cable available from the dealers that has lower resistance in the jacket.

E Z Pull Clutch (big twins) - Harley Davidson Community

Easy Clutch Installation by Joy - Harley Davidson Community

Thanks Glider, I saw the easy pull at bk rider, best price i have seen also. I'm running an open belt primary, with 9 springs on the clutch. Stock or not I think the easy pull will make a difference. Maybe make the cables last a lil longer too. Build it ride it "zoo-mon"

For those of us who are less mechanically educated, what is an open belt primary? Thanks.

For those of us who are less mechanically educated, what is an open belt primary? Thanks.

The standard primary set up is replaced with a set of dry clutches and a belt like on your final drive but much wider to replace the primary chain.

Attachments

• 0707_hbkp_23_z+evolution_industries+sportster_open_primary_beltdrive_system.jpg
    0707_hbkp_23_z+evolution_industries+sportster_open_primary_beltdrive_system.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 21
The standard primary set up is replaced with a set of dry clutches and a belt like on your final drive but much wider to replace the primary chain.

Thanks, Redfish-Joe. Is there an advantage to an open primary as opposed to the standard primary? Just curious.

As Redfishjoe mentioned they are wider.If you like the twisties, wider= not so good lefthanders.Theyre also very noisy.On the + side you wont need to replace primary fluid.

Thanks everyone for answering my question about open vs. closed primaries. The open primary in the picture looks awesome. And my apologies to the original poster for hijacking his thread.

Back