free website stats program hydraulic lifter noise | Harley Davidson Forums

hydraulic lifter noise

barnak

Hello, I own a 08 FLSTC with 37000km on it. I always do my oil change myself and run it with Aimoil in all 3 holes.(all levels are goods) Lately, when I start the bike, I can ear the lifter clinking for the first couple minutes, and the goes away, your tought on this one, thanks

Hello, I own a 08 FLSTC with 37000km on it. I always do my oil change myself and run it with Aimoil in all 3 holes.(all levels are goods) Lately, when I start the bike, I can ear the lifter clinking for the first couple minutes, and the goes away, your tought on this one, thanks

First things first:

Get that engine oil out of the tranny and primary. Use a FULL synthetic 75W90 or 75W140 wt. GL-5 gear lube in the tranny. Use a fit-for-purpose wet clutch/chaincase lube in the primary.

How often are you changing your engine oil? What filter are you using? Are you sure it is lifter noise? Have you used a stethoscope to pin it down to the lifters?

TQ

sounds like a lifter is leaking,down. takes a min. or so to pump up when you start it up..........bw

This is caused when the engine is killed on a stroke where the valve is left open. The pressure on the valve causes the lifter to bleed down. The only way to cure it is to put travel limiters on the lifters. As long as you wait until they have pumped up before going anywhere I wouldn't sweat it.

BTW Amsoil in the primary is fine. I have used it for 35,00 miles. But I would change to a gear oil in the transmission. I used to use Amsoil 20/50 in the tranny until my last oil change. I switched to Redline Shockproof Heavy and there is definitely a difference. It works sooo much smoother now.

I do have 75W90 gear oil, Aimsoil syn. in the tranny and 20W50 Aimsoil in the primary, 20W50 Aimsoil in the engine and I change it every 5000km. Always did that since I bought the bike 3 years ago and that noise is from, I'm pretty sure, from a lifter, it will do that only for about a minute when I start it and the noise go away. all level are top up to the line.

This is caused when the engine is killed on a stroke where the valve is left open. The pressure on the valve causes the lifter to bleed down. The only way to cure it is to put travel limiters on the lifters. As long as you wait until they have pumped up before going anywhere I wouldn't sweat it.

PARTIAL Quote above.. that is a good answer!

This is what causes Most Noise in a Good lifter and it does take a little while to pump back up....

A lot of times an engine will Stop in a neutral position with the valves closed and Not have a problem like the bleed down of the lifter... I SELDOM have any of this noise!

just wonder HOW yours would stop in the same area each time? Weak spot in valve springs?

IT May be just one lifter not UP to standards! Taking longer to pump up.

signed....BUBBIE

Back