free website stats program Hydrallic Lifters | Harley Davidson Forums

Hydrallic Lifters

glider.

BOT Machine
Posted by "TQ" gives a good explanation of how they operate.

I started wonderin' about this when I was having all that noise I thought was valve tapping. So when I changed out the lifters in my UC this last weekend, I pulled one apart to see what was inside. The pix are below.

And here is a pretty cool animation that shows a lifter in operation:

YouTube - hydraulic tappets (hydraulic lifters)

Finally, here is a pretty good explanation of how they work. This is from a VW, so don't pay any attention to the actual numbers and specification provided. The description of the operation of the lifter is what's important.

Hydraulic Lifters

TQ

3245d1242621225-lifter_configuration-p5170215.jpg
3246d1242621225-lifter_configuration-p5170216.jpg
3247d1242621225-lifter_configuration-p5170218.jpg
3248d1242621225-lifter_configuration-p5170214.jpg

TQ did the lifter noise go away? How many miles are on the motor before the change, and are the replacement lifters stock or an aftermarket type. My 08 is louder than I think they should be but seem to go away somewhat if I throttle it up.

TQ did the lifter noise go away? How many miles are on the motor before the change, and are the replacement lifters stock or an aftermarket type. My 08 is louder than I think they should be but seem to go away somewhat if I throttle it up.

The last thing I did was replace the stock lifters that I had REINSTALLED in the engine after doing a roller chain conversion. I went in with the HD "B" lifters which are the new stock lifter for my engine. But I also stripped off the exhaust pipes on both heads, replaced the HD crush gaskets with some new Cometic ones, and then buttoned everything up. This has pretty much taken care of the problems I had. And it seems to be improving with time.

What I will do when it is time to change the fluid in the tranny is swap out the oil pressure relief plunger spring with the Baisley spring in the new cam plate. This will increase the oil pressure some (about 10%). That should make this engine as quiet as it will get.

You might try snugging up the nuts on your exhaust headers at the heads. If that doesn't quiet it to your satisfaction, consider the Baisley spring or similar alternative.

TQ

If you are having lifter noise problems if could be because the stock lifters have a very broad band of leak down rate. When installing HP valve springs this band could be too large and the lifter will not be able to support the load and collapse. We have designed lifters that can support this increased load and these have solved all of Indian’s valve train noise.
Dave

Back