free website stats program Hyd Tensioner setup not all its cracked up to be | Harley Davidson Forums

Hyd Tensioner setup not all its cracked up to be

100_0044.jpg

100_0043.jpg

100_0042.jpg

inner and out shoes 2008 RKC just over 19k :(

now to try to find them so i can have it back together by weekend

Looks like a different wear pattern then the old style. You would sure think at 19K they would have less then that.

If not for pitting, my old style had less wear at 30K .

Thanks for posting

its worse in person but yet it doenst have the full pad wear like the old style we changed on my buddys 04 .. so now where to find these b4 friday to put it back together

its worse in person but yet it doenst have the full pad wear like the old style we changed on my buddys 04 .. so now where to find these b4 friday to put it back together

Good luck, if you can't find them local. Try this 513 874 4343(Tri County in Ohio) ask for Jenny. She is great, maybe ship over night if they have them. She can tell you who does.

Good Luck

Not trying to be hard to get along with ,but the tensioner shoes are plastic.What did you expect to see after 20,000 miles .I recently did the hydraulic conversion.In making the decision to do so ,I assumed I would be needing to check my shoes occasionally.And I will,At probably 20,000 or so.I just didn't want the gear drive noise.BTW they don't look that bad from what i can see in pic.

what did i expect ? not to have this problem at 20k miles 50 maybe ..

basically this setup isnt much better than the old style .. and yeah the pics dont look super bad but there are chunks missing just like ya see on the spring loaded setup ..

so them little pieces are hopefully in the oil filter i didnt find them else where and luckly the pump isnt trashed

ill work on some better pics tonight when i aint so torqued off since i wont be doing anything else i would guess unless i magically find these in stock somewhere local

Not trying to be hard to get along with ,but the tensioner shoes are plastic.What did you expect to see after 20,000 miles .I recently did the hydraulic conversion.In making the decision to do so ,I assumed I would be needing to check my shoes occasionally.And I will,At probably 20,000 or so.I just didn't want the gear drive noise.BTW they don't look that bad from what i can see in pic.

You should not have to pull your bike apart ever 20K and check or replace these. I would be frustrated if my bike had "The Fix", and the shoes showed that much wear.

Gear Drives get a bad rep. because of noise. If they are put in and setup correctly you will not have noise. But with Harley's crank TIR gears are not a option for most newer bikes. Funny thing is, I bet the large percentage of 08's have not seen 20K and will not for a while. And the ones that have are not being taken apart to check the tensioners for wear. Even the shoes in the picture would probably make 50K(before failure). Pretty safe bet on HD's part.

Not to be a buzz kill to all the pro hydro tensioner guys...but, this is exactly why I decided on the gear drive last year. To me the crux and also the Achilles heel of the replacement is still a "plastic" shoe.

I like me evo sounding TC :D

Back