free website stats program Hybrid Cam Tensioner Upgrade and TW21's done. | Harley Davidson Forums

Hybrid Cam Tensioner Upgrade and TW21's done.

Slo-Ryd

Contributor
I finished this upgrade this past monday and took some pics along the way. TQ did a similar cam change and a very nice write up as well. I used the Screamin' Eagle hybrid kit and figured I'd share how it all went together.

After some tweaking of my Dobeck Gen 3 this week, all I can say is WOW!!!! What a difference just these cams make. I'm very happy with the results and have had a huge :D on my face all week.

It was well worth the effort and should hold me over for a little while. But what does everyone with more power want??..........MORE POWER, lol.

Link to the album and pics below.
Harley Davidson Forums

Feel free to ask any questions if you're thinking of this upgrade or these cams.

Good job Al! Excellent step by step photos and instructions!! :ap

I've been fighting the cam upgrade bug for over a month.

Al, I agree w/ Breeze.....very good job and thank you for all the photos. At what point in the proceedure did you feel confident that all was going to turn out well?

I'd say when I clicked the ignition on, flipped the switch to run and with a thumping heart, hit the starter button. :unsure

It fired right up like I had just parked it, oil pressure came up immediately and it settled into a rhythmic idle. Whew..........:bigsmiley12:

I've been in many Evo's but this was my first venture into a TC. It was just like riding a bike and I actually like how the TC cam chest is designed, except for the old tensioner design:s

Sure looked like it went smooth as silk all the way though. Very happy that the performance met your expectations as well. Job well done.

Fine job Big Al, my wish's for gobs of fun. One question: I noticed on the push tubes they have the long adjuster. I thought they had to have short adj. in order to clear everything when removing without taking top off. Mine has short adj. and you need every thousand of an inch to clear holders for push tube holders. Have I as usual been mislead?

:s Very good job and detailed pictures, hope you enjoy the job well done:D

Fine job Big Al, my wish's for gobs of fun. One question: I noticed on the push tubes they have the long adjuster. I thought they had to have short adj. in order to clear everything when removing without taking top off. Mine has short adj. and you need every thousand of an inch to clear holders for push tube holders. Have I as usual been mislead?

If you're referring to the push rods themselves, when fully collapsed, they gave just enough room to get them in. There couldn't of been any more than a 1/16th of an inch clearance though and at first attempt I thought they wouldn't go in. I had to make sure the top of the PR was correctly seated in the rocker arm cup and then and only then was there the necessary clearance to get the bottoms to swing in. The first picture where they are sitting on my work bench has them extended out to oem length. I used a slide caliper to set them to the stock lengths taking the measurements from my original PR's when I had done the rocker gaskets about a month ago. I was going to install them then, but thats when I realized that with the oem tubes, it wasn't going to work and needed to order new tubes.

The chrome outer tubes are the short style lower with a longer upper retainer clip. Very similar to the stock Evo tubes and needed when using adjustable PR's. There is no way the stock tubes can be lifted high enough to access the adjusting nuts on the PR's.

Back