free website stats program Humm | Harley Davidson Forums

Humm

Merlyn

Woke up to find front tire flat. Had twisted spokes put on few months back along with new tire. Got bout 8k on tire. Inflated tire checking for cause. Could find no nail hole or anything. Got out soapy water to check and found air leaking from bottom end of spokes.... Why air from there??

When a wheel is laced, it's not unusual to have one or more spokes that protrude past the end of the nipple, and have to be ground off. There may have been a burr left on one. It takes a while but even a tiny burr will chafe a hole in the tube. that's what a rim strip is SUPPOSED to prevent.

isn't that air tight between rim spokes and tube?
When you have the repair made, or do it yourself, I'd want to ensure the rubber rim strip is in place. If it's not, I'd be worried about the other tire as well.

I think the others have you covered. When you have the tire off and are checking for protruding spokes and burrs on the spoke nuts be sure to run your hand all the way aroung the inside of the rim to make sure that there or no burrs left from dismounting the old tire and remounting the new one.

Back