free website stats program HSR Mikuni 42 carb | Harley Davidson Forums

HSR Mikuni 42 carb

short

03 custom softail 100 ci Revtech motor cleaned carb, had benn setting for long time, no matter what I do runs rich, Mikuni 42 came on motor, any ideas. haven't run down the road, has just run in my shop.

Here are some links to a guide on tuning the hsr range and a parts list
However if it is too rich then either the pilot jet is too big the main jet is too big or the slide needle has been raised or is of the wrong profile

Brian

Harley Davidson Forums
Harley Davidson Forums

Brian gets my vote of confidence here he is spot on with carbs:s

I have a further question if the bike has not been run down the road what are you using to determine that it is running rich
When the bike is started from cold the enricher will be required creating a rich mixture during the warm up period this will cause the plugs to be covered in a black soot when the engine is warmed up and the enricher closed off the soot will not be burned off until sufficiently high flow and temperatures are achieved
Even if using some sort of exhaust gas analysis engine needs to be up to temperature and running under load to get a true reading

Brian

Thanks for the information,the bike wasn't quit ready to ride,and every time I started the engine it smelled gassy and plugs were black.

Smelling gassy and plugs black would be pretty normal with bike at standstill and the enricher being used to enable the cold start
Wait till you get the bike out on the road and get a good feel of how it is performing and using fuel

Brian

Back