free website stats program Howling Front Wheel | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Howling Front Wheel

This is my very first posting and one of the reason I joined your HDTimeline site. I have a 2010 Fatboy FLSTF , 10K miles with a D408F front tire, with the same howling. It is worse with a Clearview windshield on rather than off. I also took it to the dealer at 5K miles and was told it was just the way the tire meets the road.

This is my very first posting and one of the reason I joined your HDTimeline site. I have a 2010 Fatboy FLSTF , 10K miles with a D408F front tire, with the same howling. It is worse with a Clearview windshield on rather than off. I also took it to the dealer at 5K miles and was told it was just the way the tire meets the road.

You reckon maybe it's worse when you have the shield on, only because you can hear more everything with a shield. I know I hear more of my primary noise when I have my shield on.

As long as the tire is not defective, I guess it's just another noise to put up with.

I know I'm a little late to this thread, but I had a howl (moaning) sound that varied with speed. Turned out that my rear disc brake caliper needed service, but the vibration traveled through the frame so it seemed like it came from the front.

I would check that all the brake calipers are releasing properly by lifting the bike and check by spinning both wheels listening for just a slight swishing. I would feel / listen for vibration / moaning and any loose hardware. May also use copper grease or pad / shim compound that helps suppress vibration/squeal. As others have said, lubrication may be lacking in wheel bearings, steering head areas. Finally, use a torque wrench to check all critical fasteners including wheels, brake calipers, steering head, engine mounts and exhaust system (some of these conduct the vibration noise, not necessarily the cause.

Back