free website stats program Howling Front Wheel | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Howling Front Wheel

Well I would think it has to be either the tire or the bearings. It is only on long sweeping curves or short slower curves or both. How fast are you going when it howls?

Does it only do it on full moon ? (just kidding)

Maybe I need a silver bullet.

I can make it howl if I lean or turn the handle bars just slightly left or right at 30 mph (50 km) or more.

I'll put my money on the tires, I'm new to the Harley but my Suzuki did this when the tires got a little wear and started cupping. New tires will make it quiet again, and mine started getting noisy around 6-7000 miles. And like you said, they will really talk to you in a turn but quiet down in the straightaways.

My front tire howls all the time in the turns now... That thing is getting worn out, 18k on it but it's only 3/4's used up. Had it happen numerous times in the past. The Harley seems to conduct these noises straight up to the rider, makes it worse than it really is.

I have developed a howling sound which appears to becoming from the front wheel. It only does it while cruising in the bends of the road. Quiet while going straight but as soon as I lean slightly left or right in the bend it starts then goes quiet again when going straight. Would this be the front wheel bearing or the treads in the tires?

My Ultra does it too and my replacement Dunlop tires are cupped. The noise changes depending on the road surface. If it was the bearings, I'd expect the sound to remain the same.

Have the same issue with my 2009 Ultra. Also had 408 put on at 5,300 mile due to bulletin. Now have 20,000 on bike and still running original rear. Humming noise actually started not long after front replacement. Like others mentioned, only in the corners. I'm thinking it might have something to do with the dual compound design? Outsides of tire are significantly softer. Aside from the hum, I feel that the 408 is better than the 407 as the 407 cupping made my tire hop up and down on corners. That doesn't occur with the 408. Almost 15K on front 408 with plenty of tread remaining. I'll put up with the hum if I continue to get the kind of mileage these Dunlops have been getting. Half that mileage was riding two-up.

Well the mechanic looked at the tire and he does not see any cupping as I did not either. He did not have time to bring it in to listen with a stethoscope but he suspects the bearings. When I lay the bike up for the winter and have it up on the jack, I will take the calipers off and spin the wheel to see if I can feel or hear anything. If I can't I will take the wheel off and inspect the bearings. Out for a ride today and it's more than a hum, she really howls especially turning left - even slightly.

I've been chasing the same issue this summer...kindof a hum, and more so an annoying vib. in the bars in the curves. i checked the bearings, and had the indy check them, and they are fine. i do know this summer it has gotten worse. 17,000 on the factory d408 and i'm convinced its the tire. we'll see as i will put a new one on this winter anyway.

if you look at the sidewall of your tires they have tightly spaced grooves on them ..when you lean the bike into a turn these groves come into contact with the pavement and make a noise. The harder you lean into the turn the louder it will get.. at least that is my experience,

my 09 electra had developed a howl also , tech finally found a tit on the brake caliper mount rubbing very lightly on my rotor , would howl after it warmed up . tech tweaked the fork away from rotor - solved

Back